Nothing is More American Than an… Immigrant?

I’ve always held a strong belief that immigrants were true Americans, more so than native Americans (Not to be confused with the actual native Americans that have been here since before the 14th century). Immigrants who traveled here to this country for a better life went through many ordeals that would trump most of the worries that consume the minds of say, you and I. Immigrants are the ones achieving “the American dream,” or the “rags to riches” stories. If your parents are immigrants and you are the first generation born in America (like me!), ask them what they went through. Sure enough, they’ll tell you that they came here looking for a better life for themselves and/or their future children (YOU!). And if you’re reading this, and all of the above applies to your family, then congratulations, you made it! Thank your parents for all the sweat, blood, tears, and sacrifices they made in order to achieve the life they’ve made for you and them. There are so many stories of immigrants finding better lives in America, in the past and even in the future. One of those stories is told by a young man named Carlo Alban who decided it would be best to illustrate these struggles via play production. The play “Intringulis” featured his very own story of being an illegal immigrant in America with his families. His solo act which had contained wonderful effects and dynamics, captured the heart and soul of the immigrant’s struggle more so than the other works of art presented in my Arts in New York seminar.

Before the play, I had already been aware of the struggles immigrants faced here in America. I am of the first generation in my family born in America, and I will admit that I do not associate with these struggles first-hand, but many times throughout my life I have been reminded by my parents and other family members that a lot of work was put into allowing me to have the life I have now. So when I saw “Intringulis,” I felt moved. Here was a good-willed, hardworking family of illegal immigrants that lived in constant fear of being discovered. They couldn’t enjoy themselves as regular Americans could, and they had to assimilate to the culture as best they could, hiding any traces of their primary culture. The presentation Carlo put on, his singing, assuming the point of view of other characters, and his direct monologues, had me on edge. Not like, about to cry, on edge, but I just have a soft spot for these kind of things you know?

When Carlo addressed the people that vehemently put down illegal immigrants, I took his side. He is a primary source of living evidence that disproves many of the naive misconceptions people have of illegal immigrants. People generally believe that illegal immigrants take advantage of the American system, benefiting from programs that are supported by tax payers. According to Carlo, illegal immigrants are tax payers, and the sad thing is that they don’t even get anything like tax refunds and the like. Who’s benefiting here? But more importantly, do I believe him? Yes, I believe that Carlo is telling the truth, and if he is, then illegal immigrants are actually helping America.

“Intringulis” is a play that should open peoples’ eyes to the world illegal immigrants live in. I am aware they are illegal hence the label, however I believe that they should do what they have to do in order to live better lives. However, here’s where everything is shaky. With that kind of believe we have to consider it’s legitimacy with other topics concerning illegalities. So even though I’m really taking the side of illegal immigrants, at the same time I’m being wary of other possibilities. The illegal immigrant debate is one of few moral topics that lingers in my head from day to day, and such would be the reason that Carlo’s play really struck the right chord with me. Watch “Intringulis” and then generate your own opinion. Are immigrants, illegal or not, true Americans?

This entry was posted in 08.Immigration, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.