Nineteenth Century Bank, Sal’s Pizzeria, and the King of Cannolis

Little Italy turned out to be an adventure once we actually found it. Tyler, Ashley, Alyssa, and I witnessed a completely different mood as we moved into serene Mulberry Street from the loud hustle and bustle of Chinatown businesses. We weren’t yet sure where we actually were until we saw a little cart that said CANOLI SHACK. A quick look down the street and many Italian restaurant banners came into view. When I say many I mean A LOT of restaurants. There were so many at least 3 or 4 per block that it was impossible to decide where to eat. I wondered how anyone visiting this neighborhood would figure out where they were going to eat lunch. There were just too many restaurants to choose from. Adding to the pressure were the representatives of each restaurant standing outside and competing for lunch patrons by advertising the exact same food. “Lunch guys? Lunch ladies? We have the best pasta in town!”

We made our way down the block and were searching for Little Italy’s art. Out of nowhere comes the greatest sign for the Italian American Museum. Ding Ding Ding there must be art in there! We encountered a small museum that was only maybe double the size of our classroom. The young woman working there was extremely nice and even allowed us to interview her as she walked us through the different art pieces of the museum. Check out the videos of all of interviews in our Interviews in Little Italy post below! The coolest thing about the museum was that it was once a bank from 1885- 1932 when Little Italy was a thriving Italian American community. I thought that the old cash register and the old safe were the most interesting pieces because it showed the history of the neighborhood in something as simple as an old bank. The safe was especially awesome because it had been left shut in the bank only to be opened by a professional safecracker many years later when the bank was to be turned into the museum that it was now. The safe contained envelopes and notes that were not claimed and are left on display at the museum. I admired the fact that they were able to preserve this remnant of the original neighborhood as it once was.

Along our merry way we came across this vintage clothing shop that had old clothes from as early as the 1850s. The woman in the store had a really indifferent view towards the neighborhood especially the restaurants because she mentioned that they all served the same exact food. I think this was a good contrast to the interviews we were having that mostly described positive aspects of the neighborhood. The store clerk worked in the neighborhood daily and we could tell she wasn’t too crazy about it.

We began a journey to Sal’s pizza shop and I thought Sal’s pizza…? Where have I heard that before? I know!! Do the Right Thing!! It was almost a real depiction of the restaurant it was so strange it even had its own wall of fame! We had some good fairly cheap pizza and I caught a picture of real life Sal. I wanted to tell him about the movie but then I was reminded that it never ended well for the restaurant.

After pizza we were still hungry and still needed one more interview. We decided to go to Caffé Palermo that boasted “Best Cannoli on the planet Earth.” We all had some delicious dessert. While eating we noticed all these cut out boards of this Italian guy who looked like he might be the owner. Then we turn around and at one of the tables the same guy was there! Ashley went up to him and asked if we could do a video interview and it turned out to be the best interview of the day. His name was John Delutro and he owned the café since he was seventeen years old and has been running it for the past 39 years. I was blown by the fact that he was able to keep this café of his open for so long and busy with customers. He was a sweet guy and really wanted to explain his story to us. He told us how he was born and raised in the neighborhood, how the neighborhood came to be, and how it is declining as a neighborhood for Italian American residents. I was surprised he was one of the few to still live in the neighborhood as he said most people were able to sell there houses for much higher prices than they paid for it and then moved to Brooklyn or Queens. He told us about the open neighborhood he once lived in where no one locked their doors, he could sleep on the fire escape, and the neighborhood was one large cohesive unit. I found this interview to be the best way to end our day as it really stood out because we actually got a first hand account from someone who is a true native of the neighborhood. He was able to relate the story of Little Italy through his eyes and I could tell the connection he had with his neighborhood was very special to him.

This entry was posted in 09.Neighborhood, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.