Vorrei parlare italiano!

I’m going to start with a pretty controversial opinion: I actually enjoyed the opera. Were there times when it got repetitive? Sure. Was it a bit too long? You betcha! But overall, I had a great experience.

Walking into the theater was overwhelming. Gorgeous lighting fixtures were all over, the walls were velvet, and everyone was so well dressed. But in a way, that was part of the excitement. You got to feel like a part of the New York elite. Sure, we didn’t pay for our tickets, and we couldn’t afford the champagne, but no one else had to know that. We got to play the part of being cultured, upper class teens for a night.

Now I have to admit, the show wasn’t exactly “user friendly.” It was extremely hard to see the stage from where we were to begin with, but trying to read the subtitles simultaneously made it almost impossible. It was hard to tell who was speaking, and so it was hard to keep track of conversations, especially when there was a crowd of actors on stage.  I had no idea what the characters actually looked like until I was able to use binoculars. (Thanks Aamir!)

Despite the confusion, I still managed to follow the story. In fact, the whole time I was just thinking about the article we had read about modernizing operas. I had a clear vision of a movie coming out with the Don Giovanni plot applied to a high school setting. A “player” being haunted by one of his old conquests. Sure, there are some pieces I still have to work out (like Donna Anna’s father’s ghost) but I think it could be great. However I have a feeling the idea wouldn’t be met with excitement from the opera community.

It wasn’t just the plot that interested me though. While the set was not exactly vibrant, I thought the way it worked was extremely cool. I loved that two large structures were able to transform into so many settings. Oddly enough, the costumes were also pretty demure. Most outfits were neutral colors: tan, brown, beige, and the occasional white. For a show with people sitting so far away, I assumed the costumes would be more distinctive to help people keep the characters straight. This was partially true, as Donna Anna wore black and a veil, and Donna Elvira wore nicer, shinier clothing than the other women, but for the most part, the characters were hard to tell apart. Weirdly, the most insignificant characters, the women at Don Giovanni’s table in Act II, had the most interesting and intricate costumes. I guess they were able to have more color and pattern because they were more “promiscuous” characters.

While I really enjoyed the show, I don’t think it did a good job of appealing to a young audience. As we always hear, today’s youth have a rather short attention span making the three and a half hour show in a foreign language not a top choice of night activity. When I heard we were going to the opera, I was dreading it. I really thought it was going to be a waste of time. I think most teens are the same, and would not go to the opera if it wasn’t mandatory. Additionally, most teens do not have the money to spend on opera tickets. I think in order to sustain the art form financially, the opera has to attract the younger generation before the older one dies off. (sorry to be morbid) Perhaps offering free or discounted tickets and giving a quick synopsis of the story before the show (even in the program!) would help draw in the younger crowd.

I think the opera shows the “New York Fantasyland.” It’s what everyone dreams of. Dressing up in tuxes and ball gowns, drinking expensive champagne, mingling with other posh people. The reason people come to New York is to “make it,” to somehow make tons of money doing what they love. I think the opera has become the ultimate indicator of wealth, and so the sign that you’ve officially “made it.”

This entry was posted in 10.Don Giovanni, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.