Yup, six dollars.

Believe it or not, I did actually spend six dollars on a brownie. Was it worth it? Absolutely. It may have been the best brownie I’ve ever had. Sprinkled with powdered sugar and filled with large chocolate chips I could not have asked for anything better. ALRIGHT. I feel much better now that I got that out of the way.

Back to the Opera. I’m seriously still borderline considering whether or not I enjoyed my time there. The first act had me genuinely interested in what Don Giovanni had done and where it would lead him. There’s something about cheating man-whores that had my eyes open for at least 85% of the first act. The convenience of the subtitles was something I could not have done without. I tried for a little to just focus on the stage and try to understand through their actions what was going on, but I invariably failed. As soon as the curtain actually opened I was impressed with the set. It was so intricate! The way the windows all opened and the building itself could be split apart and used as a plaza. I won’t lie, I was impressed. Unfortunately, I stopped being impressed with the first act there. The costumes were dim and I kept confusing Don Giovanni and Leporello (I think that’s his name). When the common people were dancing around because of an engagement, I didn’t think their costumes constituted the poor. I felt that the Leporello was part of that crowd but his clothes were significantly more fitting.

Intermission. I think I had the most fun of all during the intermission. I happily enjoyed my brownie and didn’t wait for 20 minutes on line for the ladie’s room. In fact, I was able to people watch. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many condescending stares in my life. I was waiting on line for food just like them, so I’m not quite sure what I did wrong. I even got cut on line but a woman with her nose so high in the air it’s possible she didn’t even see me. Rather than getting frustrated, I laughed. It was quite enjoyable seeing these people thinking they were better than me. I could’ve told them that I was there for free and didn’t pay a ridiculously outrageous price to not understand a thing the actors were saying BUT I held that bit in. (:

Back to the Opera. I will admit that I slept through most of act two. Prof. Healey should be able to vouch for this considering my head almost slipped onto her a shoulder an obscene amount of times. My attention was finally caught when flames spewed from the stage floor. Wow, kinnnnnda cool if you ask me.

I do think that the opera was affective in attracting a younger audience. I could’ve thoroughly enjoyed it if I had an energy drink before I came. I think that I may need to see more operas to truly form an opinion, but in all honesty I think it was quite an interesting show (minus the second act). Referring to the second question on whether this relates to “NY: Fantasy or Nightmare,” I couldn’t form an opinion. The story itself had no connection to anything we’ve been reading or watching in class. Taking into consideration the silly amount of money I would’ve spent on a ticket otherwise, I’d say the opera is a nightmare. The company isn’t exactly welcoming and the view is sort of horrible. From afar it may seem a fantasy of the rich and famous, but it really isn’t worth it.

This entry was posted in 10.Don Giovanni, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.