Don Giovanni

I remember Professor Healey say how you can either hate or love the opera. There is no in between with an opera. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed the opera experience. I expected myself to fall asleep at least once throughout, but gladly I didn’t. I can’t say the reason I stayed awake was because Don Giovanni was such an amazing opera. It was more than that. I loved the singing aspect of the opera which is what makes an opera unique from any other form of storytelling I’m familiar with. I was amazed at how high some of the notes were and how successfully the actors hit them. The set of the opera was a little dull but I found it really cool how they would move and be appropriate for the specific scenes. The costumes were also a little dull in color but somewhat appropriate for the peasants they were supposed to be.

The opera was very enjoyable even though I had some difficulty understanding what was going on. I could not see the faces of the actors. I could not tell who was singing. I could not differentiate between the characters. Having to go back and forth from watching the stage to reading the subtitles was a little annoying. I would try to read all the subtitles in one glance so I wouldn’t miss anything important. Gladly, I didn’t miss much so it wasn’t so inconvenient for me. But overall, I think the opera experience was beautiful.

I feel a little differently about Don Giovanni, the opera itself. I loved the story of the opera. I was very happy when Don Giovanni got what he deserved considering how much I despise man-whores and cheaters. That being said, the opera was not as enjoyable. The second act was so slow and went on and on compared to the first. The first one was more exciting and didn’t drag on. I understand that Elvira was hurt because she loved Don Giovanni yet confused because he betrayed her. I understand that. I do. But was it really necessary for her to sing about it for such an extensive period of time?

Honestly, I don’t believe the opera was very successful in appealing to young viewers. Tickets to the opera are just too expensive for me to go frequently. I enjoyed the opera and the singing. The Metropolitan Opera is truly beautiful as velvet is everywhere but it’s just not possible for me to attend on a regular basis or even an irregular one. Also, the people who do watch operas every other day don’t expect to see a younger audience. While waiting in line for the bathroom, I got a few dirty looks from some of the older women. I don’t think most young people want to torture themselves by watching a three-hour long performance in a different language, but there are those that enjoy operas, such as myself.  I consider the opera to be a New York fantasy because everybody gets all dressed up in their most expensive outfit and jewels. People buy the expensive drinks and mingle with the other well-dressed people. If you attend an opera, you are kind of considered part of the high-class and that’s what people want. They want to associate with the rich and it confirms their dreams to be successful and know they’ve accomplished it.

This entry was posted in 10.Don Giovanni, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.