Look everyone, there are ants down there!…Wait they’re people?

Hey everyone, it’s a me Don Giovanni here today (parody of it’s a me Mario, of course!) Now back to the opera experience, the grandeur of the opera theater and the spectacular display of the red velvet coloring that seemed ubiquitous greatly impressed me. While I was outside of the opera building, I really enjoyed viewing the lighted-up staircases, the water fountain in the center, and all the beautiful lights that produced an incandescent environment. With such intricately resplendent style that the opera boasted, it’s no surprise why all the affluent individuals were enticed to view the opera. I also enjoyed the seemingly everlasting walk up the staircase to get into the opera theater (such good exercise!) Once inside, I was astonished by how enormous the theater was and our seats were so far away that it made everything seem microscopic (yes, just like in biology class).

All in all, the fact that us young viewers were so far apart from the characters detracted from the opera experience. For example, with the young audience being what seemed like miles away from the actors, it was impossible (unless, binoculars were utilized) to scrutinize the expressions of the characters and difficult to perceive who was actually singing or even what was going on. Moreover, at some point the opera turned into a vapid performance for me, because of the continuous singing and cliched theme. I was surprised that these actors can sing for that long, even with high-pitched voices (my the talent they possess). At first, I thought the opera would involve some exciting plot, but instead it portrayed a rather hackneyed plot of a man cheating on a woman, a whole lot of women, I should say. For me, like most people, the highlight of the opera was the incredible fire scene. That made my night. I was waiting anxiously for the moment when Don Giovanni would get punished for his sins, and indeed he got what I call an “epic punishment.” Honestly, at some point of the opera I almost fell asleep, thinking when the torture would be over. I mean the actors did a superb job singing and acting, but singing for 3 hours is definitely not my thing (that too in a different language!).

Next, I would like to discuss the setting and costumes of the characters. I felt that the setting was appropriate for opera because it fit well with the costumes the actors were wearing and the plot of the play. I really like how the houses split in the middle to reveal a new setting. From what I could make out (due to the distance away I was from the actors), the costumes suited the opera and were rather elaborately designed. I loved the mob holding the torches and the fire effects were like seeing the Fourth of July (well not really, but still fun!) In addition, as all the plays I’ve viewed, the characters seemed very involved into their role and performed wonderfully, in my opinion. However, I despised the fact that Elvira still forgave Don Giovanni after all he had done to he. I mean woman, come to your senses! Overall, I always like it when characters are really passionate about what they do and loved the fancy area I was in.

I feel that the opera was a nightmare in the aspect that Don Giovanni was betraying all these innocent women, but a fantasy, like Mehreen said, in the magnificent environment we were in with all the rich people. I just liked how there was so much color and fanciness, even though like the Anthony Caro exhibit, I felt alienated by the rich-looking people. Essentially, the opera illustrates to us the splendid region of New York and the many talented people that are part of it. Mainly, I don’t think the opera was appealing to a young opera viewer myself because I was surrounded by a group of people I wouldn’t normally be with and that it was in a different language. Continuously looking at the subtitles and then back to the play was annoying; I just wish the opera was in English. Yes, I admired the talent of these characters singing in such high voices, but the opera is not for me. I’m just glad I had the opportunity to experience the opera because it generated a new insight of the arts for me.

This entry was posted in 10.Don Giovanni, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.