Beautiful Chaos.

It seems needless to say that for the elite New York City is their Eden. It’s their magically place filled with anything their little wealthy hearts desire. Following this logic, one would think that those who are not as affluent would be less satisfied with the city and view it more as an inferno. However, for me, the awe of the city prevails despite my lack of a penthouse on Central Park West.

Being that I don’t even have my permit, and my family doesn’t have a car, one of the primary things that I love about the city is the independence that public transportation grants me. Yes, I have MANY grievances with the always late, and not always reliable service of the MTA, but despite these reservations, I love the city’s public transit system. With busses and trains, I don’t have to worry about having a ride to and from work, school, or any place for that matter. All I need is my beautiful unlimited metrocard (which I have no idea how I survived without before this semester), and a somewhat decent sense of direction, and then I’m on my way. Not to mention the entertainment that the people on public transit provide. Where else is it acceptable to fall asleep on a stranger or break out your mariachi band?

I also love New York for its diversity and easy access. Walking less than a block from my house, I can find a Laundromat, deli, school (unfortunately not mine), a couple restaurants and more. For someone who is an avid walker like myself, New York is the ideal location. I remember talking to a friend of mine about this about a month ago, and she was telling me that where she lives (Oklahoma) there aren’t even paved sidewalks for people to walk on because it is expected that everyone just own their own car. If New York was like that, there is no way in hell (or in my case Eden) that I would be able to stay sane.

The variety of culture draws me to life in New York as well. It is one thing to learn about a nation’s dress, food, and customs in a textbook, but a completely different experience to learn about such things first hand. I’m so grateful that I do not live in a place where everyone shares the same beliefs, customs, religion, and ethnicity because quite frankly I think that would be INCREDIBLY BORING. I love the freedom that one is given in New York City to explore new things, and the generally accepting nature of those that live here.

Yes, New York has its flaws. There are many who are crazed by the frantic and overall cramped experience of the city, but I love it. The hustle and bustle keeps me feeling engaged in the world around me, and even if I don’t get my penthouse any time soon, I still have may Eden, my New York.

This entry was posted in 11.Eden/inferno, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.