Let Me Be the Outlier for One Last Time

To be honest, I am really tired of being an outlier in class. My opinions always seem to single out, but not in a good way. Since this is the last blog, I will be an outlier once more.

Before I begin reflecting on the artworks, I would like to comment on “Supernatural Wife.” This performance has a beautiful and romantic story with a performance that is beyond my ability to comprehend. While the combination of classicism and modernism is a typical technique employ in many dance performances, “Supernatural Wife” doesn’t seem to use this technique successfully. In my Chinglish words, “A too modern performance for a too classic story.” What was very good about this performance was that all dancers were really passionate about what they were performing, not like they were dancing for the sake of dancing in some other performances such as “Jewels” by New York City Ballet.

Enough. Begin to reflect. In my first blog, I said I considered something as art if it can enlighten me, and increase my awareness about arts. I think this is only true for unconventional arts. Throughout the course, I have seen many arts that aren’t necessarily enlightening to me. Nevertheless, they are arts by all means. Perhaps I shouldn’t take the definition of arts overly personal, especially on conventional arts. I cannot dispute an artwork is not art simply because it is unenlightening to me. After all, art is art; I cannot say “Supernatural Wife” or “Intervals” are not arts because they did not enlighten me very much. In this course, I am glad that I can see many “made in New York” artworks. They all portray a New York that is totally different from my narrow view of the city. Although some of the artworks may not be very enlightening and inspiring, they all open my mind on New York City as a center of arts. Before taking this course, arts have always been luxuries for me because I don’t have the resources and knowledge to learn and understand arts. Art is one of the most important parts of New York City, but it is the least important part of my life in this city, a little ironic. Because of that, I appreciate all of the artworks that are included in the class. I truly learn a lot from them (and from Professor Healey and my fellow classmates. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.)

The most important thing I learn from this class is how New Yorkers view New York City. I don’t mind if you laugh at me, I really found it fascinating on knowing how different my views are from New Yorkers’. From the class discussions, I figure out the reason that I am not fitting in. The New Yorkers’ views on New York City are very interesting, and I should continue to learn more about them so I can understand better about New Yorkers as well as New York City.

My favorite artwork, if I have to choose one, is “Don Giovanni.” I like it partly because I love the magnificence of the Metropolitan Opera House. But there is a more important reason. Classic is always classic, no matter where it is performed. While we are becoming so enthusiastic about modern arts, why don’t we just take a moment and examine the beauty of classical arts. It is a treasure that has been passed down for centuries, and spread around the world. As a cosmopolitan city, New York is obligated to preserve these arts. And I think the city is doing well in this. In terms of enlightening, the plot didn’t enlighten me very much, but the other elements of the performance enlighten me in how to appreciate the meaning of opera. The “9/11 Peace Story Quilts” are also good pieces of arts. I was deeply touched by the children’s pictures. Although some of these pictures are naïve, they all voice out their aspiration for peace, and there are also many creative pieces. It is not easy to find an artwork that can move people’s mind in a rather idealistic level.

Until now, I don’t know what is the most truthful New York to me. I have experienced all of the views except for “New York City Before and After 9/11,” because I was not here at that time, so I really don’t know. To me, these views are both true and untrue about the New York City I am experiencing now. I have experienced both sides of the views, the haves and have nots, the immigrants, the city dreams and the urban nightmares. The more I experience, the more inferior I feel. Indeed, having lived in here for more than five years and still don’t know what the city is really like is a shame for me. Yet, I am glad to view and think about New York City in all these different ways, because I can at least give people a satisfying answer when they ask me what New York City is like. Moreover, these views give me some hope to continue living in this city, because New York City is no longer black and white to me.

The outlier’s opinions should end in here. If I say anymore, I will get beat up (only joking). Lastly, if any of my opinions have offended anyone, I apologize from the bottom of my heart. Please forgive me. And I just want to thank Professor Healey again for giving such valuable lectures in class. I am enlightened!

This entry was posted in 13. Reflections, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Let Me Be the Outlier for One Last Time

1. zohari7 says:

Rui Yan, I think your outlier opinions are often really interesting–embrace it!