Fin.

Sentiments. The photojournal has closed. The blogs have ceased. The final class approaches. It’s amazing how fast time flies…I remember meeting everyone on the roof of the Met, staring at metal thingys, rich folk with there fancy drinks and conversations, Ray planking, and my interview with the random dude who couldn’t speak English. -__- It goes to show you how ephemeral things are and how we have to take a moment every now and then to reflect and really soak up all our experiences.

Reflection. 7 Plays. 6 Films. 3 Exhibits. 5 Performances. 4 Themes. As the semester comes to an end let us reflect on the various images that represent our beloved New York. I find it very difficult to pick one piece that was my absolute favorite, not only did we see 21 different works, but it is incredibly hard to compare a performance to a film, a written play, or an exhibit. Thus, I’d much rather choose a favorite from each category.

Drum roll please…

The Favorite Play Award goes to…Arthur Miller’s A View from a Bridge for its interesting characters and accurate depiction of immigrant New York. Unlike some of the other plays I sympathized with almost all the characters in this play (to varying degrees of course) and I found a lot of the elements very realistic and relatable.

The Favorite Film Award goes to…Maria Full of Grace for its talented actors & actresses and captivating story/scenes. First of all, I didn’t even know people did stuff like eating drug pellets to sneak them into the country. Second, the way the scenes were shot was extremely captivating and helped parallel the engaging plot. I still remember the scene where Maria and Blanca go to get their money; I honestly thought the drug dealers were going to pull out a gun on them. I even saw some of the scenes with the director’s commentary and the details and thought he put into making these scenes is impressive to say the least. I have even more respect for him and other directors as we are currently making our own films. Every angle, light, prop, etc. can play a significant role in how a scene is perceived or presented.

The Favorite Exhibit Award goes to…Nicola Lopez’s Intervals. I remember going to the Guggenheim and thinking is this really it? But as I was walking up and down the levels I actually grew to like the exhibit even more. There was a simple beauty in its chaotic nature. I perceived it as an interesting commentary on our lives, how there are different levels, there is confusion, etc. After we discussed the exhibit in class I grew to like the piece even more.

The Favorite Performance Award goes to…Intringulus for it’s amazing story, intimate set design, and memorable moments. This was definitely the hardest category, except for the Opera I loved everything we saw. But there was something different about the performance at Intar. It was the most meaningful and memorable. The others seemed more esthetically pleasing and entertaining pieces, less meaningful.

What about the themes? I think they were all amazing lenses to view New York City, each with their own degree of validity and accuracy. I honestly cant say which theme best or most truthfully portrays New York City because they all do. New York is home to the wealthy and spoiled, but also the poor and deprived. As we saw through the neighborhood blogs and in our own classroom, it is home to several immigrants. To some it is a city of dreams and opportunity while to others it is nothing but a chaotic inferno and nightmare. Lastly, art reflects time periods and change, so when something as tragic like 9/11 happens of course art will at least try to reflect it.

If I was forced to choose I think the award would go to the theme of NYC as a city of dreams or urban nightmare. Due to the fact that it encompasses all the other themes under its umbrella.

Acceptance. All things must come to an end. I will say that I’ve lived in New York for 18 years, visited all of its boroughs and I’ve never thought, seen or analyzed New York in the ways we have in this class. It’s amazing how much art, of all different forms and styles, can tell you.

This entry was posted in 13. Reflections, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.