Last but not Least…

Before I even started this class, upperclassmen left and right were telling me “You’re going to have so much fun in this seminar. It was my favorite one!” Indeed, they were all correct. This seminar was by far one of the best classes I’ve ever been in. We’ve been exposed to so many different kinds of great shows, plays and movies that I never would have given a second thought. I really gained a new perspective and learned a lot about New York from this seminar. Out of all of the units we’ve discussed, the Immigration unit had the most effect on me. Although I can’t relate to most of the characters we were introduced to, they taught me the importance of pursuing one’s dreams, no matter how difficult the journey can be.

My two favorite pieces of the semester were definitely Maria Full of Grace and Intringuilis. Maria Full of Grace, besides being a very entertaining movie, taught viewers that many people, especially immigrants, deal with great burdens everyday. The film was very realistic in showing that many teenagers in many countries go through extremes in order to survive. It also showed a darker side of New York, one that isn’t always optimistic, lively and fun. It gave me a better-rounded perspective on the city. More importantly, this movie gave me a new respect for immigrants. Intringuilis is similar to Maria Full of Grace in that the main characters are both immigrants coping with daily struggles when in New York. I was actually quite surprised with Carlo’s touching performance. I really wasn’t expecting much from this show, but I was extremely impressed by how he was able to pull off such a phenomenal show by himself. Carlo put the audience on an emotional roller coaster, with heartwarming scenes when he sings “Los Hermanos” (I hope that’s the name of the song!) to more carefree, relaxing scenes when he just casually drinks and plays cards. I admired how strong he was when arriving to America. As a teenager, he fought through loneliness and discrimination and still managed to make it as a successful actor, influencing people all around the country. Maria and Carlo were the two people who really intrigued and affected me throughout the semester.

Oh wow, I just realized, these two pieces also answer the second question to this blog. “Which view of New York City is the one you find most truthful?” I think they perfectly portray a very “truthful” side of New York. Unlike God of Carnage and The Matchmaker (these two plays both show a very trivial part of New York), these two pieces show that this city, as prosperous and glamorous as it may seem to many, it is also a place where people struggle and strive to fit in and live a normal life. It also shows that New York is a place that opens many new doors for people and allows them to start fresh. New York is a symbolism of hope and ambition for many.

On a final note, I’m really glad Macaulay offered this class to us. I really learned a LOT from this seminar, beyond the arts in this city. I’m going to miss attending all these amazing shows and performances (for free!!). I don’t think I’m ever going to come across an opportunity to see an opera such as Don Giovanni free of charge again. Although I didn’t exactly enjoy the performance, I still really appreciate the new experience. I doubt our next seminar will be nearly half as fun as this one, but who knows? I might be pleasantly surprised, just like I was with many of the works we’ve read and seen in this class.

This entry was posted in 13. Reflections, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.