This is it.

I was looking forward to this class because everybody said it was the best seminar of the four that we have to take. I had certain expectations going into this class and I can honestly say that they were surpassed. I’ve really enjoyed myself throughout my first semester of college because of this seminar…it really gave me an opportunity to experience the New York I knew existed but was apathetic about exploring. I’ve been exposed to a very different New York because of this class, one that I would not have explored on my own. I’ve read plays I would not have read, seen movies I would not have seen and watched performances I would not have watched. But I’m glad I got to read, see and watch every play, movie and performance we did because even thought I didn’t enjoy each and every one, I learned something different. There were some pieces of art that I did not enjoy or understand such as Anthony Caro or The Bald Soprano but even then, they offer a unique perspective to art and speak to a different audience and I recognize them as art.

The immigration aspect of New York is the one that affected me the most and was my favorite. I’ve always known immigrants play a huge role in this city but I never could relate. I always heard their stories but there was never a face to them. Intringulis, is one of my most favorite ways in which New York City was portrayed. I realized how hard it is for some people to make it in this city and I began to appreciate my life here, something I took for granted before. For me, this was the most powerful depiction of the city I live in because I’m most familiar with it. After seeing this one-man show, I really felt for the illegal immigrants in this city hoping for success. I truly connected with Intringulis but at the same time, I truly enjoyed Supernatural Wife. I absolutely loved this performance because it was so fun to watch and I was amazed at how talented each and every one of the performers is. I loved the singing because the harmony was so pleasant to listen to. The dancing was unique and a little different, but I loved how they choreographed the dance to music that didn’t exactly go well together. It made it more interesting and unusual. I liked how the performance was based on an old tragicomedy but it was a very unique and moving adaptation. I really enjoyed this piece for its uniqueness and combination of dancing, singing, and acting.

New York City, for me is one full of the haves and have nots, immigrants, and dreams and nightmares. New York’s diversity has allowed this city to be home for all kinds of people and ideas. This city is so diverse because it is home to immigrants from all over the world who have dreamt of a better life full of opportunities. Their desire for a better life is not enough to survive in this city; it’s hard work. It requires luck and connections and that’s why some people have everything and others have nothing. Some people are living out their dreams while others are living in their worst nightmares. These three themes of NYC that we’ve explored throughout the semester describe the whole city and the people living in it. I think that this city has bits and pieces of all three views but if I truly had to pick just one view that defines New York City, I would choose the immigration unit because it plays the largest role in making this city what it is.

Throughout this semester, I’ve had the opportunity to explore a side of New York that I was not familiar with. I’m very grateful for this seminar for exposing so many different art forms to me and showing me that art is not only what’s in museums. Having been to an opera, exhibits, plays, seen movies, and read plays, I’ve had a larger appreciation for art and I hope I continue to explore Art in NYC.

This entry was posted in 13. Reflections, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.