$uperficiality at its Best: The “Filthy” Rich

When I think of  “Wealthy” New York, I think of Bernie Madoff while others panhandle on the subways. I think people eating truffles while others struggle to eat. Being wealthy means adapting a certain lifestyle in the US. I hate to generalize, because not all wealthy individuals adapt selfish lifestyles in pursuit of happiness, but more often than not the wealthy are the greedy. And the worst part about it, is that the money is often extracted out of the dry pockets of those who try to earn an honest living. A wise man (perhaps you should google to find out who if your interested) once said “If the son of Adam were given a valley full of gold, he would love to have a second one; and if he were given the second one, he would love to have a third, for nothing fills the belly of Adam’s son except dust.” Numbers don’t lie. Perhaps the following article may enlighten those living in a fantasy: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-zuesse/us-is-now-the-most-unequa_b_4408647.html .

I find it really funny how people come to New York to become wealthy. Perhaps one of the funniest encounters I had over the summer happened one night while I was working in Manhattan. I was a delivery boy (yes, I actually got to see the arrogant snobs that would have me do their grocery shopping. And those rich young folks walking their teeny dogs dressed in tuxedos in Battery park). Anyway, back to the story, I was exhausted after working a long time and decided to take a break to washup and pray at a local mosque. Once I go in and start praying, I overhear a loud conversation of several Egyptian folks talking about life. One of them starts by saying how he has been trying to get a TLC license for more than 6 months. One of the other guys (also a driver) starts mentioning how disgusting the job is, talking about the lewd sights he has encountered all day on the job. Really something to blacken the heart. I could not help but focus on the conversation. The guy who complained then delivered the funniest punchline, “I don’t know what people think America is…They think thats it, once you get out of JFK in the baggage pickup, Obama comes and personally dispatches two trucks of money for you.” It was a good think I was praying because had I been sitting around I would have burst out laughing. On a more serious tone however, this is the false perception the city boasts so confidently. New York seems like paradise. But not everything that sparkles is gold. New York is nothing more than a gold platted ring. No wonder New York always ranks as one of the most depressed cities in the world.

The film Breakfast at Tiffany’s best represents wealthy New York. Emily (Paul’s designer) in particular portrays the superficiality of the upper class. The way she walks, talks, and dresses are meant to show how she believes the world revolves around her. Her false sense of dignity is shattered when she foolishly offers Paul a $1000 check after he ends the relationship. She feels that money will earn her respect or at least allow her to be treated differently from a common person. Sadly, this is exactly how many rich folks act. As much as I despise such personalities, I can only blame the society’s morals for admiring such personalities. The film really demonstrated the wealthy life: lavish parties, drinking, smoking, and hyper sexuality were all reoccurring themes. Holly especially seems lost, not knowing what she wants. Her pursuit of happiness (or arguably the American Dream) land her confused. She even states in her own words that she doesn’t know what she wants. The Hollywood ending where she suddenly changes and recognizes the meaningful relationships in her life, as she scrambles to find her cat in the garbage, is there to get the ratings in the box office. If anything, the film serves to attest to the depressing, superficial life the rich live.

As I write this post, an amazing example comes to mind. Loon, a former bad boy records rapper, born and raised in NYC (perfect!) attests to such superficiality, loneliness, and depression. I have posted two video’s below each of them in which he tells his story. (One of them is shorter the other a little more in depth. I would really appreciate anyone reading this to take to take the time to watch at least one of them) I have to say I have watched them several times (among other of his talks) and still remain in awe every time I hear his story about how he turned his life around. In his (funny) story, he talks about how he climbed up the ladder making money, only to realize that a horrible lifestyle came with the music business. His path eventually led him to religion. In his talks, he offers deep insight into the minds, lives, and attitudes of the rich, giving a first hand understanding of a reality most of us cant relate to.

I end by mentioning a quick parable for reflection. A man walked down a quiet town at night to see a boy bent over holding his stomach. After asking him what happened, the boy replied that he had not eaten for days. As the man walked on he saw the same sight. After stopping the person he asked what the matter was. The man replied that he had eaten too much.

1. Longer version (starts at 4 min)

2. Short Version (amazing synopsis of Loon’s story in less than 30 min). Setup in Interview Format

-Waseem Bassam Iqnaibi