A Question of Authenticity

Let me start off by saying that the performance was not what I had expected. Spoken word is not something new to me. As a matter of fact, I had a chance while in HS to compete and rank in a competition where I presented my own spoken word piece, in both a regional, then a national team (shown below. I have no idea who took the pic but I sure look angry). I also remember prepping other competitors from my school who were competing in extemporaneous speaking, rap, and improv. I have seen truly jaw-dropping performances that I wish I reexperience. 1010683_568565613205638_360806711_nWith that said, I was relieved the music stopped pounding in my ear to hear only one person speak. What a relief! It started off confusing, kinda the way I feel reading some books, but quickly oriented myself to the setting and problem of Mums story. His enthusiasm was evident; sweat trickled down his face and his eyes frequently narrowed. I was certainly hooked on his story before long.

Although the performance was quite long ( I was getting restless towards the end, thinking when he would finish), it was memorable. The most fascinating part of the performance was the aftershow, where I could better understand the artist better. All that talk of Hip-hop made no sense to me. I certainly did not see any hip-hop in the performance (maybe because I am not really acquainted with music genres or music to begin with). That really detracted from the performance, because both Medina and Craig talked about it heavily, almost forcing me to reinterpret what I had just seen. Thats number one. Number two, I started to question the “authenticity” of the performance after Mums described how he “wasn’t feeling attached” to the piece during the planning stages. I have to remember at the end of the day, that this is a show that people are paying for. And whether or not he would admit it, he must tailor his story (no matter how unique) to the audience at hand. It seemed to me that the story was “watered down” or censored to say the least. I’m glad that was done, if my thinking is right, because I remember instinctively shaking my head during some parts of the performance, particularly when he started cursing. Not really art, or a form of self expression if you asked me.

Lastly, I remember specifically asking if he had any “agendas” or messages, other than the be yourself stuff that was obvious. Although he said No, I find it hard to believe. Especially after that funny scene when he describes how he wished how he could strangle capitalism and have the rich see how he lived in the Bronx. If he really meant that No, then in that case that was not demonstrated in the performance. If Yes, I’m really interested why he wouldn’t admit it.

After realizing that Mums was telling his own story, I don’t think that it is really one to use as an example. Mums admits to being lost (for a loong time). And while most would agree that not knowing your major for a year or two is perfectly normal, a 30+ year old full grown man taking drugs is not really acceptable, even by the lowest of American standards. He seems to have many opputunities put to him (the best in my opinion being West Point), but simply refused because he wasn’t feeling it. By choosing to remain stagnant, and allowing time to pass, he lost more by making no decision instead of a wrong decision which would have at least bought some form of guidance to a lost person.

-Waseem Bassam Iqnaibi