Talk about Royalty

I don’t think the fact that I was going to see an Opera actually hit me until I got out of the subway at Columbus circle. It’s funny because even though I’ve been there many times, I felt like the biggest tourist asking where Lincoln center was. I asked this guy who pointed me in the right direction, but not without wishing me a great time. I couldn’t help but smile as I thanked him and headed on my way. He seemed more exited that I was going to the opera than I was :P. By the time I saw Lincoln center, I realized what I had gotten into. I felt like an ant, dwarfed not only by the beautiful buildings around me, but by swarms of well-dressed folks all seeming to know where they were going. Confused, I stepped into one of the side buildings to ask where Carmen was, only to be answered by this rather old women. “Wooooowww,” she said, “your going to see Carmen…Lucky you.” I hope shes not saying this thinking I’m taking a girl to the Opera I thought. She smiled, and pointed me to the main building. I genuinely smiled once more and even when I was farther away she was telling me how amazing a performance it was. I really stood out. Was it because I was young, becuase I had a nice beard (bc for real, when was the last time you imagined a guy with a beard going to see an opera), or was it that I was a charming young man (thank you very much jk). Regardless, I certainly felt…special, as if I had suddenly moved up the prestige ladder. The only thing left was for someone to roll a red carpet in front of my feet, and I would feel like a king.

First impressions were certainly ones of luxury. Red carpets, fancy chandeliers, and elegance all around. It felt like stereo(typical) Manhattan. And of course, the people. These people were no joke. They seemed like avid opera goers. This old lady on the elevator was all worried that the bell would ring. And if that wasn’t funny enough, another old lady reassured us all telling us that they never start on time, as if she was born and raised in the Opera house her whole life.

The performance started off with the musicians, and objectively speaking, they were certainly phenomenal in skill. I remember leaning as much as possible to get a closer look to see the conductor moving left and right, as if he controlled the music. I looked to single out specific instrument sounds like the harp, violin, trumpets and cymbals. It certainly brought back nostalgic memories of when I used to play the violin (ES) and the clarinet (HS). I particularly remembered my hs music teacher, guiding us through the basics with the tapping of his batton. It was amazing to me how everything rested on the music…the actors ques, the lighting. It all seemed to center on the music.

As far as the performance was concerned, the actors performed well in their roles. I found the plot to be rather confusing, although I was able to distinguish the different characters. I still don’t know how Carmen fell in love with two guys. I was following everything the first scene when the girl in blue came and the guy loved her, and the whole situation with the soldiers mom. Everything after that was confusing. And somewhat boring.

I am not really a fan of these love stories. They’re unrealistic, emotionally draining, and often have no logical explanation. “I love you” “No you don’t” “Yes, I do” “Ok, you do” “Actually wait, I hate you now, you can die for all I care”…..Are you serious? Please give me a break. On this whole issue of love, now that I bring it up, I can’t help but ask myself are these actors married? Carmen especially. For real. Laying on top of each other in front of thousands of people. Does the concept of shame exist, even in the slightest form, exist anymore? Forget my reaction, I would certainly like to imagine the reactions of Americans about half a century ago. And not just with one dude, but two. I was asking myself, why don’t these people just rip of their clothes and do a live demonstration? Perhaps I may have a tighter definition of what constitutes modesty and morality, but I think in this case, the sexuality of certain scenes were very explicit and intended.

Last thing about the actual performance which intrigued me was the stage and lighting. The lighting and moving stage really allowed for seamless transitions between scenes and I found that to be particularly fascinating. The curtains reminded me of some power point animations, and the fact that that could be done on a stage setting was pretty neat if you ask me.

As far as the audience is concerned, yes it is mainly for older folks. That is not to say younger people can’t see it, especially if your trying to impress a lover, I guess. I can imagine that many older folks have a lot of time to kill. What better way to do just that than to go to a luxurious, expensive, long Opera that focuses on romantic, heartbreaking, confusing love. That’s a sure way to make you feel 20 again. Although I think I had an interesting, brand new experience at the Opera, I am not really all hyped up to go again. When I come to think about actually seeing the opera, I just remember waiting for the scene to end so that I can get up and stretch. I just ain’t about that life. I did however get to experience a sense of “prestige” which I didn’t have to work too hard to get. I think that’s really what makes going to an Opera a different experience. Reflecting back on the event, I am able to recall all these things simply because they are completely new to me. After the glitter settles, I am left stuck in a seat for 3 hours, straining my eyes to see ant-like figures with a dude’s head in front of me.

-Waseem Bassam Iqnaibi