Opera- a medium of art for all to enjoy

When hearing the word opera, for some people what immediately comes to mind is three hours of mind numbing pain and boredom. I on the other mind was actually really excited to see the performance of Carmen at the Metropolitan Opera House. Especially so because to me the opera always seemed like something that was expensive, that only the wealthy had the privilege to enjoy. However, after experiencing it myself that view changed.

Walking into the MET one of the things I was really excited for was the orchestra. The only prior knowledge I had of the play was performing “Habanera” in the 11th grade. The one thing I can say is I’ll probably never play it as well as they did. The music was just amazing. The crescendos in the music to show the rise of emotion in the actors as they were signing, as well the decrescendos to pianissimo as the play takes an emotional turn were all just fantastic. Some people don’t realize how important the music is in media, and that idea for me was only reinforced at the opera. For the first half of the play I sat in the orchestra section, all the way at that back because I had arrived a few minutes late. Even though I couldn’t see well and didn’t put my subtitles on (I didn’t know how), I could tell what was going on because of the music. When the dynamics changed I knew to pay close attention because something was going to happen, the storyline was going to shift in a new direction. I knew when the music was fast paced and loud the scene was a happy one and thankfully no one would die. The opposite could have been said in the climax where Carmen is killed, all wavering thoughts of whether Don Jose would really do it were squashed, the music told it all.

One of my favorite pieces of the show had to be “Toreador”, because the music was so lively and entertaining. I also must mention the amazing performance by Ildar Abdrazakov as Escamillo, his voice was perfect for the character. He wasn’t overly loud or annoying, it fit because his character is one of a matador that the village people love and respect, which I got from his performance. That’s probably why it surprised me at the end when some of my classmates booed when he took a bow. Whatever, people are free to their opinions. An interesting thing I found out about the show when I got home was that there are actually two singers playing the titular role of Carmen. After seeing some of the other, I was happy that I got to see Anita Rachvelishvili because her performance was so commanding and convincing as Carmen. It was easy to see how her character had such an effect on Don Jose and Escamillo. Compared to the other actress,(videos of both below) Elina Garanca, Anita’s voice just has more emotion that made it seem less like an act and more realistic.

After I got home that night and was in my room I couldn’t help but notice that when telling my mother about it I told her that maybe we should go together one day, and that she’d really like it. Then I thought how crazy it was that just a few days ago I was so excited to get the chance to see something students my age (and class) normally wouldn’t be able to. Now I was all. let’s go, it’s not even that expensive! I think people have this preconceived notion that the opera is such an expensive thing when it really isn’t. That to go you need a good seat which can cost from 155 to 340 dollars. I for one didn’t really care that I was sitting in the family circle. Once the show started I just focused on enjoying myself. That for me changed the way I saw the opera and any other art performances like it. The actors and crew members aren’t doing it so they can look at the crowd and say, oh there are the rich people and there all the others at the top with the cheap seats. No, it is not about that, it is about presenting something to the general public that they can enjoy. For me, if the opera was truly a selective thing where only the rich and wealthy could go, then maybe the MET wouldn’t offer things such as the family circle and 30 dollar tickets. Now I know that the good seats are expensive now, but trust me, an art performance isn’t exactly a free business either. Those actors and cast members need money just as much as we do.

What I’m trying to say in all this garble is that the opera is something that anyone can enjoy it if they are willing to let go of social differences and pay attention to what is really important; a few hours away from our tough lives to immerse ourselves in art that is truly entertaining.