Bringing Booty Back

Whenever my mom would tell me thats she’s nervous for the future generations i would always roll my eyes at her. But now that I’m thinking back, i realize that i know exactly where she’s coming from. People really will do anything for money. I mean its pretty much always been like that but now even more so.  Drugs, sex, and nudity are everywhere, its super publicized but what makes it worse is that its the new norm. My mother told me that back in the old days it used to be harder to access anything that was this type of rated R material. People used to disapprove of such things. CBS was fined during the super bowl when Janet Jackson had a wardrobe “malfunction” and it wasn’t even their fault! But now thanks to social media and the publics approval, we can see Kimberly Kardashian’s rear end wherever we go. Wheres the shame people? Okay i understand the artist behind the photo was trying  “break the internet” but why did he or she have to go about it this way? It was supposed to be prestigious and artsy but i just think it was an easy way for her to get some more money and the magazine to gain more publicity. But come on, where has the world come to? She’s famous because of her sex tape people, how is that okay?

Its depressing but the only way to survive in this world is by making money. However thats getting harder and harder to do. Sadly, celebrities musicians and other artist are forced to become mainstream and sell out in order to make it big and to say on top. Yes it is possible to be original, stick to your morals. create something with social/politcal value and make money off of it. It has been done before. But those artist who are not as talented as Michael Jackson are forced to succumb to the pressure in order to stay in the money making competition. Unfortunately theres only one thing left to do for these people and that is to sing about that junk in your trunk. Its like a chain reaction really. Someone decided that if your bring booty back  you’ll gain popularity. So let me introduce to you Nicki Minaj’s “hit” Anaconda. Apparently it was ranked number two on US Billboards Hot 100 songs. Congratulations Nicki, your butt song made it big and you got tons of money for it. But this is where i am confused. Has anyone actually stopped and listened to her lyrics or watcher her video? If you have i’m sorry for you and what the heck? How is that ok? Besides the fact that its degrading to women, its just dumb. She says nothing substantial within the song and i’m pretty mad at myself for actually knowing the first verse, but i’m blaming that on the radio stations that overplay their music. I have to give her credit though she knows whats she’s doing and she knows what she has to do to make her money. She is selling out and sadly its working for her. She is throwing her integrity down the drain in order to please the public and get the popularity she craves. If she was to sing about a social issue and actually wear clothing in her video would she make as big of an impact on her fans as she did with this song? I would like to think so.

We are living in a world influence by social media and people do not know where to draw the line. Enough is enough. It is possible to stay original, to value morality, and to move people without becoming mainstream. Just because some jumps into a cliff, doesn’t mean we all have to. There must be some way to to be able to balance art an money.