Final Blog

Of all the art forms we saw portraying New York City, I really have to say that I particularly enjoyed the movie Moonstruck, directed by Jewison. I really found this movie to be the most accurate of New York in all the implications it leaves. First off, every single character in the movie has some sort of weird or quirky personality. No one is just “normal.” Loretta, the main character, is an Italian superstitious thirty seven year old widow. Her boyfriend is a lackluster guy by the name of Jonny whose voice can bore the room to sleep. Jonny’s brother, Ronny, has an entire personality of his own and also happens to lack a hand for having cut it off a few years ago with the meat slicer.

Now not only are all the characters in the movie odd, but all the events to have taken and do take place are also just as weird. First of all, Jonny proposes to Loretta, only to leave the very same day to see his dying mother for an unknown amount of time. Secondly, Loretta accepts his proposal, a proposal from a man she does not even love, and much less like. Then there’s the really tiny minuscule fact that Loretta meets Jonny’s angry loner brother Ronny, falls in love with him, and sleeps with him the very same day she meets him. C’mon people, where else would this happen but in New York City?

Now along with all the weirdness that goes on in this film, the directors make sure that audience does not for one second get to miss all that New York has to offer. First is the loud rambunctious Italian family from Brooklyn. Seriously, where else in the United States could they live? Only in New York City of course, the state with the largest population of Italian-Americans. Then theres the ultra fancy date Ronny insists on. Sure, he could just take Loretta out to the nearby Olive Garden. But why make you’re life so simple when you can just take the subway up to the Lincoln Center and sit down to watch La Bohème at the Metropolitan Opera House?

Now as accurate as this film may have been, it was also my favorite. I really enjoyed watching every second of it, seeing the drama unfold, laughing at the ample amounts of ridiculous scenes and people. I really hope Professor Healey, that this is one movie you force your students to watch year after year.