Final Project Blog

When I was first assigned the film project, I was really excited (and mainly because I thought it would be easy and fun). Was it fun? Definitely. But was it easy? Uhhhh…hell-to-the-no! After creating this project I realized one thing: I will never look at actors the same way ever again.

Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to play the part of Blue? There were so many lines to memorize! So like the “smart girl” that I am, I arrived on set without rehearsing any of my lines, thinking that I’ll just break down my lines into smaller segments and memorize each part one at a time. Shouldn’t have been a problem, right?

Well, what REALLY happened was Elizabeth (who played Galvez) and I were memorizing 5 lines at a time! That’s right, only 5. And why? Because our brains were literally incapable of memorizing anything more than that. And the worst part of all was that we couldn’t keep a straight face! We had to play two ridiculous characters that were essentially portrayed as being a couple of paranoid freaks, frightened that something scary existed in Blue’s house. Every time we played such a serious role, we’d look at each other trying really hard to hold in our laughter, but in the end, as we were almost done acting out our last lines, we’d screw it up and burst out into laughter. I felt so bad Miriam (she was the cinematographer). She was constantly yelling “CUT!” and reshooting the scenes. If I were her, I would’ve just quit; but this brave soul stuck it out till the end. Kudos to Miriam!

Making the movie was TORTURE for me! Elizabeth came up with the BRIGHT IDEA that Blue had to act out in a robe (a short one in particular because it resembled her “youth”). So there I was, in a cold, dark basement, sitting and standing on the cold floor in nothing but a robe. And to add on to my misery, Elizabeth then came up with the great idea that I, as Blue, play a mother who has a baby from Spider. (Now that I’m writing this blog, I’m actually starting to think that Elizabeth hated me.) So during this whole movie, I was carrying around an annoying pink blanket (which was supposed to be the baby), patting it’s back for a good nine hours. After a while, when we were already done filming, I was still unconsciously patting the blanket! Talk about a mother getting attached to her baby!

Anyways, creating the movie was fun, but definitely hard. Now, I appreciate actors on a whole other level. I didn’t ever realize how difficult it is to actually get into character and memorize lines! But now I do, and I finally understand why some actors are on drugs. I just don’t know how they do it!