How Internet Rambling Made My Thesis

Posted by on Feb 4, 2014 in Kerishma | One Comment

Like my lovely colleagues, I find it difficult at times to stay focused purely on the subject at hand. Much of my time spent “researching” on the Internet is spent tumbling down a rabbit hole of Netflix, tumblr, various message board forums, and other, shall we say, “distraction” websites.

I tend to try and justify my time on these websites because of the nature of my research project–as I formulate and write my own opinions on the message of women and power within the Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones universe, I find it interesting (and useful, even) to read the opinions of others. In fact, my thesis project was born from my ASOIAF/GoT Internet wanderings–first by rambling incoherently on tumblr, then by writing (and failing to maintain, she whispered sheepishly) a WordPress blog. But adding my commentary to tumblr posts and reading the commentary were crucial to the development of my thesis, because they provided me a space to develop my own thoughts and to realize that I had quite a lot to say beyond my ramblings.

Technology has continued to be integral to my thesis project as well. As ASOIAF and GoT are fairly recent, a lot of my research (with the exception of some of the theory work) comes from the Internet, whether it be online fantasy and science fiction journals, eBooks,  (reputable) blogs, or interviews with George R. R. Martin (or his own blog posts).

In terms of where I could stand to use technology a little more–it would have to be in the research capacity. I’m a pen n’ paper type of gal. I like having physical rough drafts, books full of Post-It notes, and printouts covered in pen marks and highlighter. But I realize that for a project of this scope (or of a larger scope), it’s just not practical. I need to work to incorporate resources such as Zotero into my research and writing process to make life easier in the long run. Here’s to hoping this quasi-Luddite can do it!

1. L. M. Freer
    February 4, 2014

There’s something about using technology as a means of distracting ourselves (with media, in many cases) that leads to us still continuing to think of ourselves as “quasi-Luddites”. Maybe because when we’re screening stuff on Netflix or tumblr-ing obsessively (if there was one word to describe the world of Tumblr, I’m pretty sure it would be “obsessive”–if there was a second word, it would probably be “feels”) we’re not really using technology critically? We’re seeking delivery of a product without thinking about how that delivery is conducted or framed? (Or what is omitted, when more and more of us start relying on the same tools to deliver content?)

So even though we live tech-saturated, we think of ourselves as still a bit alienated from the tech that we use. I think “the revolution” would finally arrive if Netflix went down, because it has become such an important source of entertainment. Gmail went down for twenty minutes last week and it was international news. And yet, we still describe ourselves as being apart from technology in some ways? I don’t mean to pick on that one descriptor, but I’m wondering why that attitude continues to be so prevalent.

Reply