The Zolt-Gilburne Faculty Seminar

September 21, 2009

Knowledge and Games

Filed under: Uncategorized — Joseph Ugoretz @ 9:21 am

Sergei Artemov

I would like to share some personal experiences of contributing to well-established research areas outside pure Math.

The first story concerns Epistemology, or more precisely, the characterization of Knowledge. Since Plato, Justification, along with other features, has been considered a principal element of Knowledge. However, the mathematical theory of Knowledge used the existing machinery of modal logic, which lacked the very notion of Justification and hence had certain notorious defects. I undertook some foundational mathematical studies which extended the format of the logic of knowledge and ultimately led to a coherent model of Justification in general.

The second story’s subject is Game Theory, a flourishing field with applications in Economics, Politics, the Social Sciences, etc. At the center of Game Theory lies a doctrine of probabilistic rational decision making under uncertainty, developed by von Neumann & Morgenstern in the 1940s. However, some important classes of games (e.g., so-called games of perfect information) do not rely on probabilistic assumptions. There was no corresponding theory and only a very few extreme, special cases were studied. I noticed that a complete theory of rational non-probabilistic decision making, which far exceeds what had been commonly perceived, can be derived from standard game theoretical postulates.

I will conclude with some reflections about imagination, vision, and discovery.

Click here to download (pdf format) the slides from the presentation.

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post. 

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

© 2024 The Zolt-Gilburne Faculty Seminar   Powered by WordPress MU.
Hosted by Macaulay Eportfolio Community