Across the Atlantic and back in time…

Disappointment… and a new fear >.>

So, for any World Cup followers who watched the Italy/Paraguay game yesterday, you might be thinking what I am thinking about the Azzuri — Chances are slim… very slim.

As I was talking to my Italian-Argentinean supporter and comrade in watching this event, I realized something — What happens if I get to Italy and there is no Azzuri to root for?  This may sound silly to many who don’t follow the cup, but for those who do, you are probably familiar top country cheering strategy.  You have your favorite, AND your favorites.  And I love cheering and yelling at the TV with football/soccer, I don’t care enough to do with any other sport.  I am very interested to see what the limits are with cheering once I get to Italy.

USA, Argentina, and Germany are all teams I’d be ok with winning this (Yes, I know the USA has almost no chance, but they didn’t play that bad in the England game, not counting that goal.  Yes, early goal, but 86 straight minutes of solid defense and making Rooney fail… and we have a superior goalie! (okay, now I’ve brought in that goal, but Howard really IS one of the best goalies in the world)).  Regardless, will cheering for ANY of these teams if Italy is knocked out be okay? Or will I just get myself into serious trouble?

It will be AMAZING if I’m there and they make it to the semis… but if they get knocked out early… I would normally throw my support behind my other favorites, but Europe is a different beast with football/soccer… How to handle athletics will be most interesting indeed.

I beg of you Italia fans not to kill me.

-E.m.m.