Across the Atlantic and back in time…

I kind of want to live here, and I kind of want a Vespa…

So I’ve been in Roma for a few days now, and I must say this:  I approve of the pizza and gelato.  There are more types of each then I ever though of.  The fig gelato I had today: PHENOMONAL!  Also, the actually figs I had today:  Best I’ve ever had! (Today was a fig day I suppose hahahaha).  The food, overall, is pretty good.  I wish I could find these rice balls at home!

The only thing I dislike is actually kind of strange:  EVERYONE SPEAKS ENGLISH!  Maybe it will change when I leave Rome, but I was really looking forward to using Italian, but as soon as a let off an American vibe, people here, for the most part, start speaking fluent english.  Its odd on so many levels.  I need to get better at this, but obviously the practice is hard to find.

But enough of the food (I haven’t even gotten to Sicily yet, and that’s where I hear the food is at) and of the language non-barrier.

The sites are something that I cannot duplicate in any photos.  No painting can capture it.  No description of the greatest writer can capture it.  Seeing these sites, if nothing else, truely show the glory that once was the Roman empire, and also how that remnents of that glory have been changed, embellished, or desacrated.  For example, we have the pantheon.  On the outside, its old and brown, and lately has had scaffolding on the right side, so one cannot see the entirety of Marcus Agrippa’s inscription.  One of our professors mentioned that once we go inside, and see the marble, we’d see what the outside really looked like (it had something like marble tiles on the outside).  This Temple, renovated, then changed into a church (thus saving it from destruction) is this huge thing that, to be honest, just looks like another huge old ancient building on the outside (not that this isn’t cool because I still thought it was amazing to see).

Not knowing to expect more, we walked inside.  And that’s when my jaw would have hit the floor if it were physically possible.  It was the most beautiful place I think I’d ever seen.  The artwork, the marble, and the Oculus at the tome (a huge hole that lets in the sunlight).  This is Ancient Rome.  Well, actually, not really, because it was taken over by the Catholic Church.  None the less, it was still BEAUTIFUL! 

There was also St. Ignatius’s Basilica.  The Pantheon does not compare to this basilica, it was enough to bring one to their knees, even me, who while raised Catholic is somewhat skeptical of the whole thing and isn’t observate.  (In that regard, I found the place rather intimidating (not something I’ve ever experience in a church in the states)).  Exquistite sculptures, beautiful paintings, and secret passageways (that were fun to explore but I don’t think we were allowed to go there… Next time- Flashlight!)  It was truly amazing.

Just the mere size of both of these things were awesome in a way I cannot describe.  I have attempted above, but nothing does them justice (not even the pictures that I can’t post yet but will do when I can even though it won’t make a difference because nothing but seeing it with your own eyes will do it justice).  Its amazing that the Romans, and later in the middle ages with the Roman Catholic Church, could make such amazing things.  As can be seen in the local museums, from the giant foot or hand or head of Constantine, to a bronze Marcus Aurelius (that was HUGE!) to the remains of the Roman forum, it starts to put things into perspective and actually give you a sense of the place, even though that probably cannot fully happen.

Not to mention Trajan’s Pillar.  I only wish the Italians hadn’t put a gate around it because seeing it from afar was not as fun.  I wanted to see the Dacian war clearly! (Its hard from far away.  Lucky, I saw it in history class.  But seeing it in person completed the effect.  Like I mentioned, its better to see it in person.  It was also nice to be around people who said almost in unison with myself “OH MY GOD THAT’S TRAJAN’S PILLAR!”–“OH MY GOD YOU’RE RIGHT!!!!!”– “DAMN IT THIS IS SO HUGE!!!!!”)

I’ve only been in Rome since Monday at around 10 AM here.  About halfway through these not even 3 days, I think I’ve actually made the descision of what I want to attempt with my life.  I want to know more about these things.  They’re just awesome in ways I can’t describe, and what they have resulted from are just as fascinating (I have not even mentioned my lectures, but if I do blog about them, its better to wait a little longer to compile them better).  Granted, I’m still brainstorming for a senior thesis idea, and maybe I would be better off at Hunter than Queens (due to department size… too bad I don’t want to switch), but somehow, I want to make this work.

I went to the Colosseum today, but I will write about that and my new Pope bobblehead in the next post (I couldn’t NOT! It was just a tad hysterical).

On a side note, I want to start a trend here in America.  I think Vespas are awesome.  Whoever invented it was a very awesome person.  I definitely think I’d like driving one.  Also, Roman drivers stop for pedistrians.  Its rather freakish, and I almost wish they wouldn’t do it because I find it so strange.  Since when does someone driving let a pedestrian walk?!

This post was long, ranty, confusing, and incredibly disorganized, and I congratulate those of you who got through it.  It is 12:38 in the morning here, so with this I sleep for lecture tomorrow, and our own non-class related excusion to Hadrians Tomb.

For those of you who made it this far and are not members of my family trying to make sure I’m alive (Hi Mom!)  I salute you and give you brownie points.  (I salute you too mom, but I know you’ll read the whole thing no matter what :P)

Peace, love, and gelato and rice balls and wine!

-E.M.M.

2 Comments so far

1.   dad on July 2nd, 2010          

uncle Joes asks, “DO they make pineapple pizza?”

2.   dad on July 2nd, 2010          

wuddyamean AND WINE??? ehh???