Saturday, January 1st, 2011...9:34 am

I made it to Argentina!

Jump to Comments

Hi everybody,

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while the internet in Buenos Aires was really bad. Currently I am in Mar del Plata!! Here’s an update on what happened during the first day in Buenos Aires:

Our flight was on Tuesday night at was delayed by two and a half hours. We got to Ezeiza airport around 1 pm on Wednesday and reached the hotel at 3 pm. The hotel wasn’t too amazing, so I was glad that I didn’t have to spend a long time here. In addition to this, my room was one the few that did not have air conditioning. After resting for a while we decided to explore Buenos Aires. I noticed that there were lots of cafes and pizzerias. We went to a cafe and I got an empanada, which has become one of my favorite snacks of all time. For those of you who don’t know, empanadas are triangle shaped dough shells filled with whatever you want. Most empanadas are filled with beef or chicken and some can be sweet. I ordered tea with my empanada and I was pleasantly surprised by its high quality. I’ve noticed that they take their coffee and tea very seriously here in Argentina. (Starbucks aint got nothing on this!)

Buenos Aires reminds me a lot of New York because the city was really busy.  Its also tourist season so everyone you see on the streets is not Argentinian.  The weather here is amazing!! Its hot but if you go outside there’s a really nice breeze.

After getting food we continued exploring Buenos Aires. Some streets had been closed off which made the city into a mini court with street vendors selling knock off sunglasses, bags and fake Lacoste polo shirts. We also crossed avenida 9 de Julio, which is the longest avenue in the world. While we were walking we heard music and loud drums, thinking it was a parade we got closer to see what it was. We were wrong. We were moving closer to a very loud protest. We weren’t sure what they were protesting but we did see what looked like the Argentinian version of a SWAT team and the group kept igniting these really loud fireworks that made us all flinch each time one exploded. Not wanting to get caught up in a bad situation, we promptly left that area and found some new a places to explore.

We ate a pasta dinner at at a restaurant near the hotel. I had the gnocchi, but it wasn’t as good as I expected it to be. The gnocchi was in this weird sauce that didn’t match it. After dinner we all so tired after our flight and from all that walking that we went straight to sleep.

•   Anupa
    January 1st, 2011 at 7:23 pm    

JAYA!!! i miss you!! you sound like your having a fun time, except for the protest part, i’d been scared if i’d get caught in something like that!! have a fab time!! kay?
    how was new years? ps YOUR BROTHER IS AN ALTER BOY!!! they grow up soo fast =’]

• i know right…Time is flying!