Week Six: 1960s Television and 1960s New York City on Television

As an introduction to last week’s “Night at the Movies,” I raised some questions about locational and temporal genres, and suggested some of the ways popular films (cinema) about or in New York City in the 1960s could be categorized. The first issue is whether being located in New York City is necessary for the story? And, if so, why? All stories rely on shared common knowledge to make sense to the reader or listener, and for billions of people today it seems New York City is a place they claim to “know.” It is interesting here to note that many New York City scenes are actually shot in less expensive venues. I believe that scenes in many NYC musicals were probably shot in Hollywood or other studios. Visually speaking, a Gotham scene relies on sets and backdrops that include or highlight iconic (recognizable places, buildings, etc.) Did “The World, The Flesh and the Devil” trailer we watched require its Manhattan setting or just make post-apocalyptic eeriness more familiar? Although very different social settings, why were “Breakfast and Tiffany’s and “The Warriors” so similar? Recalling your own Big Apple film experience can you think of what makes a distinctly New York movie? I often think of NYC “characters” with NYC accents like (for me) George Jefferson and Cosmo Kramer? Perhaps (for you) Michelangelo? Other “period” New Yorkers would include working class “stiffs” like Edith and Archie Bunker and Alice and Ralph Kramden, and some who were intended to break some molds like Dr. Heathcliff “Cliff” Huxtable and Mary Tyler Moore who made a major gender stereotype transition.

Today’s class, “1960s Television and 1960s New York City on Television,” revolves around some of the same issues and questions raised about cinema, and just like elephant jokes, some of us might not get the point or the joke. In fact, I am pretty sure that coming from a different generation your “appreciation” of the programs will be different from my own. One of things that makes 1960s television different from 1960s films is how they were viewed at the time — TV; alone or in small groups on small screens, and films; on large screens with more company. In the 1960s, most television sets, and programming, was limited to often grainy black and white images. As we know, the setting also effects the experience. In a sense the Screening Room is an inappropriate place for watching TV, but it is much more comfortable. We will look at short clips from many of the most popular programs and watch more or less full programs for a small selection, such as The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, and The Ed Sullivan Show. As with The Warriors review writing assignment, you should write a short review, reflection, or reaction to tonight’s 1960 boob tube cornucopia. Also, as with 1960s New York City movies, I have added an even larger list on the Resources page.  Like the movie trailers, I will assume that the sound on your own computers actually makes noises.

Readings for Next Week:

Genzlinger, Neil. “The Smothers Brothers and the Birth of TV Buzz.” New York Times. (2017). 

Heffernan, Virginia. “Mary Tyler Moore, Who Incarnated the Modern Woman on TV, Dies at 80.” New York Times. (2017).

Malcolm X., and Alex Haley. “Chapter Five” in The Authobiography of Malcolm X. New York: Grove Press, 1965.

Skinner, Jed. “The Beats & Sixties Counterculture.” <http://www.beatdom.com/the-beats-sixties-counterculture/>. 

United States Department of Labor. The Moynihan Report. (1965).

« »