The Warriors

To me, The Warriors really captured an essence of gang societies in New York in the 60s. When I had thought about gangs in New York, my mind would immediately jump to West Side Story, but this movie proved to be much more serious, while maintaining some of the aspects seen in West Side Story, like the unwavering loyalty. The thing that surprised me the most was the allegiance gangs had to their colors, or uniforms. It seemed to me that the Warriors could’ve just taken off their vests and gotten home safely; instead they risked their lives, (and some of them actually gave their lives) to continue to wear their colors as they traveled. The notions of parlay and safe traveling through specific areas is so foreign to me outside the context of pirates and ancient societies. The allusion to the Ancient Greeks in the beginning of the movie helps me contextualize it, but also makes me wonder if that aspect was over-dramatized for the sake of the film. I’d like to do more research into the gangs to see if that’s how they truly acted when going through each other’s territories.

« »