Science and Technology of New York City

Macaulay Seminar 3 – MCHC 2001

Science and Technology of New York City

Final Reflection Paper -Cali Paetow

December 13th, 2012 · No Comments · Gowanus Canal

Initially, I was skeptical. I had loved the arts seminar. I was bored by the peopling seminar. I knew I wouldn’t enjoy the science seminar. I am not a scientifically minded gal. Thankfully, I was proven absolutely wrong. This semester’s honors seminar course was a blast and I’m so grateful to professor Lewis for making it so. My intent here is not to brownnose, but to affirm that however the class was taught, it should continue to be so in future years. Through open class discussion, eye-opening fieldtrips, and focused group work I was able to develop a clear idea of what sustainability means and how it applies to different areas in life and study.

Group work can be tricky. Relying on other classmates and their schedules and their styles of working (or lack thereof) can be challenging and frustrating. I was a part of the Gowanus Canal group this semester, and while we had our fair share of hurdles we still managed to end the semester with a pretty good project and presentation. Something that we did well was the distribution of work. We each volunteered for tasks and in larger sections split the work by podwalk stops (one or two to each student). I was especially impressed when, the day after I paid for our brochures at Far Better Printing, each of my group members readily handed me their fair share. It’s always hard to get people to pay you back for things! I love my group.

Leadership was not as clear-cut for us. I think for the most part the majority of us deferred to Rachel and Albert for organization and guidance. Near the end of the project I actually felt a little guilty as I realized that I was often asking Rachel what our next move should be. I can’t point at any one person for slacking off, though I will say it was tough to meet as a group. I’m not sure that all of us ever gathered as a whole outside of class! In this respect technology was our firm ally. I learned from experience here that social media can be a very valid tool for school. Hear ye, hear ye: the Gowanus Canal group used Facebook. A lot. Through a Facebook group message we kept contact every day, sharing ideas and work. Amandeep attached the powerpoint so that we could each edit and add slides and then send it out again. I sent the brochures for feedback and edits. Albert scheduled group meetings and Rachel reminded us what was due when. I am leaving this class with a much higher regard for group work and what can come of it. It’s not always contradictions and letdowns. It is an exchange of ideas. It is a group of individuals working towards a common goal.

Not only did I have a positive experience working with my group throughout the semester, I enjoyed the assignment as well. In a traditional research project we would’ve spent the majority of our time at the computer. We’d have been researching and compiling and representing with charts and graphs. Having to design a podwalk along the Gowanus Canal was the most engaging schoolwork I’ve been given all year. Last semester’s field trips resulted in little more than photos and essays. This semester ended with a podwalk map/ guide and a tour route with accompanying audio for each stop. We were charged with creating an experience for other people. We were allowed a thesis and context through which to prove it. We may never know if others experience our podwalk but that’s half the fun! The most important part of the project, of course, was our learning. Most basically I learned about sustainability and gentrification and how to apply it to a neighborhood, especially one in such upheaval as the Gowanus Canal. I also learned how to create Google maps and nice brochures.

The first objective of the class was represented in the first lesson. What is sustainability? The syllabus charged us with demonstrating “awareness of the complexity” of the topic. We explored this all throughout the semester. Prior to the class I had thought of sustainability in only one of its three pillars- that of the environment. I learned how to understand and contextualize social and economic sustainability and explain those ideas to others. Greater understanding was reached by the class this semester and even a few minds were changed.

Our third objective this semester was to become more aware of important resources pertaining to urban sustainability. Though I didn’t take it upon myself to explore this individually, I utilized the assigned resources along with the class. Though the three assigned books proved neither shocking nor new (to me), I appreciated the information the provided and how easy they were to use in class discussion.

Objective number four on the syllabus was to “investigate an urban sustainability site” in the city. We did so. My group and I thoroughly explored the Gowanus Canal not just on the class tour but separately as well. We researched the history and logistics online. We walked the bridges and streets. Albert and I even managed to volunteer with the Gowanus Canal Conservancy. We helped to plant shrubs and small trees along a sidewalk just across the street from one of our podwalk stops!

Whether or not we successfully completed objective number five is really up to our peers. It charges us with effectively writing about/ presenting our information, in which I feel confident. Our presentation at Macaulay was well received and we answered audience questions with ease. After receiving comments in class we tweaked our presentation and reworked the powerpoint, ultimately presenting without a hitch.

Last but certainly not least, objective number seven asked that we be able to explain urban sustainability issues through multiple disciplines. This harkens back to objective number one and our understanding of sustainability’s complexity. Urban sustainability             is a part of every aspect of a city. It’s the amounts of food, fuel and water consumed and the waste produced. It’s the cost of living in different neighborhoods and the access to transportation. It’s the availability of jobs and food and healthcare. All academic subjects have to do with life. All of life relates to sustainability. All one needs is to be familiar with the three pillars of sustainability to bring it into context in life and study.

I would hands-down always recommend repeating the podwalk project. It will always be a good learning tool and a fun experience and will be easy to keep relevant. Podwalk routes will change and different parks and neighborhoods will be explored but the assignment will still encourage thinking and discovery. I’m so glad I got to do a podwalk this semester and I’m sure future classes will feel the same way.

Cali Paetow

Seminar 3

Fall 2012

Final Reflection

Tags: ··

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

You must log in to post a comment.