Science and Technology of New York City

Macaulay Seminar 3 – MCHC 2001

Science and Technology of New York City

Entries Tagged as 'Gowanus'

Final Reflection Paper -Cali Paetow

December 13th, 2012 · No Comments · Gowanus Canal

Initially, I was skeptical. I had loved the arts seminar. I was bored by the peopling seminar. I knew I wouldn’t enjoy the science seminar. I am not a scientifically minded gal. Thankfully, I was proven absolutely wrong. This semester’s honors seminar course was a blast and I’m so grateful to professor Lewis for […]

[Read more →]

Tags:··

Gowanus Canal Interactive Guide Script Outline

December 2nd, 2012 · No Comments · Gowanus Canal

Amandeep Ahluwalia, Albert Tong, James Thomas, Jessen Thomas, Rachel Kisty, Cali Paetow Script Outline Start All the students met up with the professor and the tour guide in front of the Brooklyn Public Library Central Branch. While here, we briefly discussed what the area was before it became a canal, its present condition, how and […]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

“Gowanus Community Board Nixes Lightstone’s 700 Rentals”

October 12th, 2012 · 1 Comment · Gowanus Canal

Overdue Annotated Bibliography 3 This news article is a brief piece on a rejected Gowanus Canal building proposal put forth by Lightstone. The author, Jessica Dailey, details the specifics of the proposal, the reasons for rejection, and public reactions. She seems to favor the project but only slightly as she most surely strives for objectivity […]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

“Postcard: Brooklyn”

Overdue Annotated Bibliography 2 Kate Pickert, an author for TIME, wrote this piece on development around the Gowanus Canal. Her thesis is that development plans will have to wait because of the declaration by the EPA of the Gowanus Canal as a Superfund site. She elaborates on how some are upset by the delay, while […]

[Read more →]

Tags:·

“Squeezing More Ecological Value From The Spongepark”

Overdue Annotated Bibliography 1 This article discusses “sponge parks” and their potential importance at the Gowanus Canal. The author’s main claim is that the sponge parks are important not only as an pollution solution but an encouragement for wildlife and a beautiful reminder of how we should value nature. The author, Steven Handel, is an […]

[Read more →]

Tags:·