Reading Questions 3/26/13

1. In the Health Toll of Immigration it was interesting to read that size of food served in the U.S. was considerably larger than what immigrants were accustomed to. This week I also came across a research article that showed how low – fat content labeled foods could also lead to obesity because people were consuming large amounts. I think one major factor that could be over looked is serving size when it comes to food and how we educate the public especially immigrants who may not have access to healthy foods or face language barriers. Some foods even have more than one serving size packaged in a bag which may make it seem as if it is to be consumed entirely. What reforms can be taken to limit issues on overconsumption? How can these reforms be targeted towards immigrant groups who are more at risk?
  2. In this week’s reading I also found it interesting how assimilation is related to obesity and how it is higher in women. One reason I believe this is prevelant is because second generation children are not responsible for cooking in households as they were in native lands. They lose the traditions and prefer to eat fast foods. What are ways in which second generation immigrants can learn to preserve their culture to increase a healthier living?

3. In what ways can we implement Ayurveda standards of healthy eating in urban areas were it may be hard to balance physical activity, work, and healthy eating?