Projects

Food, Self, and Society (Instructional Technology Fellow, Fall 2010)
Instructional technology projects include a collaborative food blog and a video documentary.

Professor Grace Cho wanted a way for students to keep track of the foods that they ate, and to reflect on the significance of their food choices. In the past, she’d asked each student to keep a food journal, which she then collected at the end of the semester. It didn’t take much convincing for Professor Cho to move the food journal project online, in the form of a collaborative blog. (Read more about the food blog project…)

Literary Texts and Critical Methods (Instructor of Record, Summer 2009)
Instructional technology projects centered on a course website, which functioned both as an online workspace for low-stakes writing assignments, and as a repository of texts, terms, and theories for future reference. (Students enrolled in the class were in the process of preparing for the MA comprehensive exam.)

I had two main objectives when I set out to design the companion website for my Master’s-level methods course. The first was pedagogical: I wanted to take advantage of the informality associated with blogging in order to approach assignments that might otherwise be perceived as daunting– like explicating Derrida, for example, or doing a close reading of a poem.

The second objective for the site was more conceptual: I wanted to create a lasting resource for my students. The methods course was required of all students preparing to take the MA in English comprehensive exam. But since the exam wasn’t offered until the following spring, there would be several months between taking my course and sitting for the exam. I knew that my students, if they were anything like me, would have to return to the materials in order to study for the exam. So I wanted to create a site that they could refer back to at a later date. (Read more about the course website…)

The Peopling of New York (Instructional Technology Fellow, Spring 2008)
Instructional technology projects centered around a wiki-based website, The New Flushing Remonstrance.

Professor Tarry Hum decided that she wanted the required website for her Seminar 2 section to function as an informational site for the general public. By setting up a partnership with the Center for Social Inclusion, and by arranging for her students to conduct interviews with a range of local civic leaders, she ensured that the site would provide new information to the community and to the web at large. (Read more about The New Flushing Remonstrance project…)

One Laptop per Child (Educational Technology Consultant, 2007-08)
A range of technical and theoretical projects (detailed descriptions to come).

• Library & Content Bundles (specification and implementation)
  • Lesson Plans
  • Story Jam
  • Summer of Content
  • Educational Philosophy

Other instructional technology projects include:

Climate Change—Torn Between Myth and Fact (Instructional Technology Fellow, Fall 2009)

Honors Thesis Colloquium (Instructional Technology Fellow, Fall/Spring 2008-09)