The Trends of Immigration

All three readings explain that immigration has played an important role in the United States and especially in New York City. They highlight the struggles immigrants and their children faced and what jobs they worked in this country. The readings describe how immigration changed over the course of time and how much more welcoming New York City has become toward new immigrants. Since in the past Americans were afraid the immigrants would take over their country, immigrants began to be oppressed. However, now Americans see immigrants as helpful and they feel comfortable living among so many ethnic backgrounds. The readings try to convey that Americans have accepted the fact that the country is characterized by a combination of different cultures. In addition, now there are institutions helping immigrants assimilate to American culture by providing affordable housing and good education.

The first reading, The Significance of Immigration in the Formation of an American Identity, mainly focuses on the nation’s policy toward immigrants. It discloses Americans’ uneasiness with immigrants because of fear of danger posed by foreigners to American values and institutions. However, this changed when they became to realize how the nation is a melting pot of foreign cultures that are melting and reforming. Ethnic diversity began to challenge the concept that people of foreign cultures could not become Americans. Now many immigrants are coming to this country and becoming Americans.

The other two readings, The Next Generation Emerges and Immigrants in New York City in the New Millennium, are concerned with immigrant social and economic status in New York City. They also explore the trends among certain groups of immigrants and compare them with immigrants of other backgrounds and even Americans. For example, children of Chinese immigrants comprise a large percent of students in New York’s top public schools. In contrast, white and black parents with high expectations send their kids to private schools. Additionally, they note the significant differences between the immigrants and their children. For example, immigrants would take low paying jobs that require long hours, but their children would not want to be employed in those kinds of jobs because they go to college and want to make more money.

I realized that the last two readings focused on immigrants in New York City. It seems they complement each other and sometimes state similar statements. They also begin with practically the same sentences. Since I live in New York City, I have notice that the trends among different ethnic groups indeed holds true. I see that many people who lack good English speaking skills have working class jobs, while most young people plan to attend college and get a successful job. Attending public and private Catholic schools, I have noticed differences in the kinds of people I see.

The first reading repeated many things I learned in my history classes. For example when certain kinds of immigrants came to the United States. In addition, I knew that immigration encouraged the government to change the definition of American citizenship. However, I was happy to be reminded that Americans started feeling comfortable living among people of different cultures.