Week 3- Blood Relations, Part 1, Watkins-Owens

Watkins-Owens sets out to prove that Harlem is simply not a “black” area, which should not be only known for its “Renaissance” of music and literature. She wishes to uncover Harlem’s diverse ethnic backgrounds and its development as a multi-faceted society throughout time, with focus on immigration  from the West Indies and their integration into American society. She leaves cultural achievements aside, and discusses  political, economical, and social problems ( like immigration policies, housing problems, limited occupational opportunities, and conflicts with African Americans) instead. Although the West Indie population was relatively small at that time, in comparison with other immigrant/ native groups, it still left a decisive impact on the formation of Harlem and American views on race. She also continuously narrows down her focus onto the women of the West Indies, so in a way her book also researches the feminism.

Before the creation of Harlem, Watkin- Owens tracks the immigrant movement from the West- Indies during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Colonialism forced the Caribbean people out of their homes because colonialists had claimed profitable land for themselves. In the beginning, they moved only between islands, then unto the Americas- specifically the Panama Canal. I found this to be one of the most interesting bits of information so far. I know about the Panama Canal since it is such a massive turning point in American history because it expedited trade and shows America’s exercise of power in a foreign country. The project was a huge undertaking, which involved influx of various peoples in its making. I had never realized that a majority of the labor was done by Caribbean people. I knew Chinese and Irish immigrants work to build the First transcontinental Railroad, so how I did I not know who built the Panama Canal- another landmark construction? I also find it appropriate how these low wage workers would use their “Panama Silver” to gain access to America, and how their work in the Panama Canal would act as an introductory course to American Society (“Jim Crow’). And the United Fruit Company, such a sweet sounding, benevolent name, acted as a monopoly of exporting Caribbean labor when it was no longer required in Panama. I find also find it interesting when her work focuses on women’s struggles and how women fought to correct/help it. Respect those women who saw girls lured away from their homes with false promises, then responded by making the White Rose Mission and the Welcome Stranger Committee to help empower girls. Complex immigration policies already made it difficult for women to improve their lives and needed support of men/ family.

“On to Harlem”- how cool learning how my school’s neighborhood was built. Apparently, its all thanks to a savvy realtor named Payne who would exploit a rivalry between landlords. One apartment building with black residents would soon become the entire neighborhood, as former inhabitants moved out. Harlem would soon become the draw for “elite” blacks, like W.E.B Du Bois, and became the place to be. Caribbean immigrants from San Juan Hill forged Harlem with native blacks, but they did not truly blend together. Americans had a better view of Caribbean people then native black, seen as harder working, “Model” immigrant. Caribbean people also distanced, and differentiated themselves from native blacks and vice versa. Caribbean immigrants are highly devoted to forming and building their own community. Since many people could not afford to own a home, there were many lodgers and they functioned on a form of loyalty credit. They strove to rise in society because most were educated, but they were mostly delegated to lower leveled jobs.

One thought on “Week 3- Blood Relations, Part 1, Watkins-Owens