Week 4 Readings

Chapter 4 was mostly about the impact of churches and other associations in the lives of the people living in Harlem and moving into Harlem. Often times, churches and the other associations were the center of the immigrant community. Many immigrants were attracted by the celebrations of traditions including weddings and funerals that were similar to the ones back in their countries. Although there were many separate churches for African Americans and Caribbean immigrants, both groups were often mixed during the celebrations. Church leaders often used the churches and other associations as a base for leadership. Along with the traditions that were often preserved in some Caribbean churches, benevolent and fraternal societies also encouraged the immigrants to hold on to their identity. There were some groups that were meant specially for people from certain areas. Belonging to these associations meant the members could get privileges such as sick and death benefits.

This chapter was similar in some ways to my life. As an immigrant, I have been part of a church with members who are from the same country and state as I am from. Although some traditions were preserved in our church, there were many differences from my church from India. However being part of this church was a good way to hold on to some of my culture while learning about the American culture and fitting into that new culture. When we moved to our current American Church, I found everything peculiar. While we are following the same religion, the practices were very different from the practices in which I grew up. Although it is still peculiar, it is much more acceptable now than before.

Chapter 5 talks about the struggles the Harlem community had to face to get their own people governing them. While a limited number of people were able to rise to high positions, they were unable to use that position. Harlem eventually shifted from the republicans to the democrats. One of the main reasons for this occurrence is due to the fact that the leadership of the republic party that was made of native blacks was not very welcoming to blacks who were foreign-born. Also, some naturalized professionals were able to make some advancements in the Harlem political system. For the most part, however, naturalization was seen as unnecessary because the Caribbean immigrants felt comfortable among the Harlem community. Citizenship was seen as a way to advance socially and economically.

It was somewhat odd that the native blacks and the Caribbean immigrants didn’t get along too well because of the political situation of Harlem. The reason I may view this as odd is because now, Harlem near City College seems to internal conflicts. I see many people from different cultures and different countries talking to each other on my way to college. Somehow, it is hard to believe that the people who work so well alongside eachother now actually had a conflicting time among them.

Chapter 7 was mostly about Marcus Garvey and his activities. In Harlem, Garvey created the organization Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA). He was well-known as a great orator. The Negro World was a publication made by the UNIA. The UNIA organization was created to provide a way of improvement for the black people. The Organization provided jobs for many people in Harlem especially black workers. Garvey was often criticized for his status as a west Indian citizen. His organization, the UNIA, was also criticized by some as being a West Indian Movement. Many parts of the government tried to find excuses to either imprison or deport him. When Garvey met with the Ku Klux Klan saying that Ku Klux Klan was similar to the UNIA but instead for the White people. In the end because of a mail fraud, Garvey was deported back to Jamaica.

I don’t really understand why Garvey was criticized by the people he was trying to help. I do understand that not everything he did was as what the majority  of the people would have liked but in the end, his actions did hold the interests of the people in UNIA.

The illegal activities that is looked into in Chapter 9 is really interesting. During the Early 1900’s Harlem had the “numbers” or the “policy” game. The people who played had to choose a set of three numbers that matched the three digit numbers that appeared in places like a betting area in a race track. If the number appeared in location they had agreed upon, then the player would get a “hit.” A hit was a rare occurrence and the bankers who got the bets put the money into other things like buying property. Although this game was banned in 1902, it reappeared when immigrants from Central America and Cuba came around 1914. The bankers made a lot of money from these bets. However, it was not fair towards the white ans black bankers. White Bankers were not liked and were attacked. On the other hand, black bankers were got all of the money and had the most influence in the Harlem Community.

This reminds of all the times when there is a high price on the lottery. I remember some of the teachers from my High School pitched in together to buy many tickets to see if they would win. Most people who hope they will win don’t get any thing from the lottery and simply lose the money they spent buying the lottery tickets.

Chapter 10 is all about the role the Harlem writers had in their community. Most of the writing is based on the experiences of many different groups of people in Harlem. Immigrant experiences were common. The writings were numerous many based on feminism, immigration, identity, race issues and equal rights.

Chapter 11 was a conclusion tying together many of the issues that are expressed in detail in other chapters. It talks about the interactions between the black population and the Caribbean immigrants.

The book was overall different from what I would normally read whether it is for fun or to learn something new. There were parts that were quite intriguing to think about and there were other parts that I was not too interested in. It is nice to know about the community surrounding our college.