It was more than just World War II

I feel somewhat angry that I didn’t learn about the movement that was occurring in the Caribbean at the time of World War  two. World history class in high school completely skipped this topic. The most that I knew concerning this event was the destroyer for bases agreement between the United States and the United Kingdom. This was also an important part of world history because of the growing national identity developing in the Caribbean and the United States growing international interest.

I thought that the way United States choose to govern these newly acquired bases was a correct choice. By letting countries have black leaders and respecting the local community and the customs develops trust and reduces tension that might arise.

Brown girl, Brownstones is about Selina and her Barbadian family in the late 1930s. Her mother, Silla believes in the American dream of working hard to earn money and eventually buying the brownstone that the family is living in. However, the family is met with the opposing view of the Father, who discovered that he inherited a two acre piece of land in Barbados. The father, Deighton, wants to live on that land. Selina is stuck between these two views as she grows up and learns about herself.