CUNY Macaulay Honors College Seminar Four – Baruch Spring 2009

Assignment thread: Scripts for April 7th Podcasts

Here’s where you should be posting your scripts for the April 7th podcasts. The scripts are due Sunday, April 5th.

Don’t forget, your observation assignment for Nara is also due by 11pm, April 5th! If you have technical difficulties, you can email your assignment(s) to Nara and they will still be considered on time. If they are not on the blog or in her inbox by 11, they’re considered late.

1 anna12 { 04.04.09 at 8:09 pm }

Podcast Script:

This is Forest Hills! I live in Maspeth, Queens, which is very close to Forest Hills and I consider this area my neighborhood because I spend the most time here. It is always bustling with people of all ages, especially high school and college kids during the weekends. Forest Hills has all of the comforts that a neighborhood should have in my opinion such as a movie theater, shops, bakeries, restaurants, and amazing pizza places. This is my favorite bakery to go to; It’s called Martha’s bakery and opened two years ago. Since then I have probably tasted almost everything there and it’s all amazing. During the summer, ice cream stores reopen, and colorful flowers and trees surround buildings and homes. Summer is the best season to experience this beautiful area and if you haven’t visited yet, then what are you waiting for?

2 dmitriyb { 04.04.09 at 9:47 pm }

Podcast Script:

1) Welcome to Sheepshead Bay,
2) Brooklyn’s own waterfront neighborhood!
3) The area is home to a historical fishing village and military outpost.
4) Today, Sheepshead Bay is a thriving commerce district and a popular tourist attraction.
5) The vibrant community offers an eclectic blend of tradition and modernization.
6) From the famous Lundy’s restaurant to the European Fusion café,
7) Sheepshead Bay boasts a novel array of culinary experiences.
8) In addition, the population is a melting pop of different cultures and ethnicities,
9) A fusion of Russian, Asian, and Middle Eastern communities.
10) So hop on the B or Q train and head on down to Sheepshead Bay
11) The southern gem of Brooklyn….enjoy your stay!

3 Galina Aynbund { 04.04.09 at 10:09 pm }

-Marine Park, Brooklyn: Welcome to the place I call home! Come on, come inside.
-Rows of semi-attached, single family houses line the streets of Marine Park. However, if you want to meet our friendly residents, your best bet is a trip to the boroughs largest park, Marine park. Here, on any given day, you can find children playing soccer, people playing baseball, basketall, senior citizens playing an Italian bowling-like game called bocce- anything, you name it!
-Across the street from the park is the Salt Marsh Nature Center, my favorite part of the neighborhood. It’s my home away from home. This salt marsh is proof that a rare and fragile ecosystem can safely exist even when it borders a heavily urban area like Brooklyn.
-I hope you enjoyed your trip to my neighborhood. Come back to visit!

4 David Gall { 04.05.09 at 12:31 pm }

Sheepshead Bay, among all things, is a place of memories. I remember those childhood days, playing the street after school like nothing else mattered. I realize now why everything seemed so beautiful; because it was. The seagulls sing their call and the swans group together almost like the children do on a Friday afternoon. Not to mention the peculiar serenity of walking down Emmons Avenue, right along the bay itself. This is where I grew up, this is where I live, and this is what I love.
It still amazes me that even to this futuristic day, there are still pockets of the old fishing village surviving. It soothes my soul to see the fishermen returning from a long morning of work, still with a smile on their faces because they know more than anybody how beautiful Sheepshead Bay really is. It makes sense that so many people visit daily; what more could one ask of life than a little slice of heaven?

5 dsp2489 { 04.05.09 at 3:20 pm }

Hi my name is Daniel Panit and I am here to talk about my neighborhood of Plainview, NY. Most of you might not be familiar with my neighborhood because it is located on Long Island. It is what you may picture of as suburb: empty and quiet streets at night, rows of similar houses and a skyline void of any tall buildings. This is actually a view of my house. My town is predominantly a Jewish neighborhood. The school system consists of 4 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, one high school. There are several synagogues and churches, a bowling alley, a town library, and a town park and swimming pool. If you are ever hungry, there is a plethora of food available. In fact there are about 8 pizzerias, 5 bagel places and 3 bakeries just in our town. I hope you liked my mini-tour of my neighborhood, you should definitely come around some day!

6 Buena { 04.05.09 at 5:35 pm }

What place directly faces Midtown Manhattan in Queens, is across the East River and has a higher percentage of foreign-born population than all of New York City?
It is Sunnyside, a small town with an urban feel.
It was named after it’s beautiful view of sunsets and sunrises
Originally Dutch farmland, a French Huguenot family purchased it in the 1700s and the Sunnyside Roadhouse Hotel was built nearby.
Now the town has become a lively community.
Restaurants, cafes, diners, and fast food places along Queens Boulevard represent the diversity of Sunnyside through the cultural foods available.
It is also family-friendly with grocery stores, a park and cafes.
At night, residents can eat out along the boulevard, watch a movie, grab a late night snack, or just enjoy the beautiful small town with an urban taste of the city.

7 ajbucolo { 04.05.09 at 5:42 pm }

It is a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the suburban community of Franklin Square. The air is rich with the warmth of the spring sun, filled with the sound of chirping birds and the gentle breeze rustling through the budding trees.

There seems to be an open house down the block, to which a car the color of steel wool pulls up to. A young couple gets out and approaches the front door. Perhaps they are newlyweds attracted to the homes lush lawn where they might imagine their children playing on one day.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a rare sight in this fast-paced world – neighbors casually conversing, letting time pass away from them, enjoying the moment, slowing down.

Being still for this time is inspiring. To live in the moment for a while, to absorb the world, feeds my curiosity and ignites my imagination.

In this moment, nothing else matters. No stress is relevant. No worry is known.

Relax.

8 Diana Yan { 04.05.09 at 8:39 pm }

I live on the edge of Dyker Heights, located in the southwest part of Brooklyn. This area is mainly a residential neighborhood, with only small businesses here and there. The beautiful single-family houses add to the charm of this peaceful community. Although you may see an occasional bus pass by, you will never hear the sound of a train in this quiet part of Brooklyn. The most special time of the year for Dyker residents is definitely Christmas time. There is a famous tradition of extravagant Christmas decorations where people spend endless hours and thousands of dollars, adorning their homes with bright lights and ornaments each year. Visitors from all over Brooklyn would come and enjoy the sights during the holidays. They would meet residents dressed as Santa Clauses and elves, handing out greeting cards and candy canes to those walk by. When it comes to the holiday spirits, there are few who can outdo Dyker Heights residents.

9 eugene { 04.05.09 at 8:40 pm }

History of lower Manhattan is not enough time to tell in sixty days, but this is downtown, largest financial district in the US and some may even argue for it being the biggest in the world. Wall street, which today trades millions of stocks daily, only two centuries ago was a wall, built to protect European settlers against Native Americans. On top of being the world financial capital, it is filled with famous Art work, my favorite of which is the one on the elevated ground of Chase Plaza building created by a famous modern artist Gordon Bunshaft. The famous in cases infamous Federal reserve building is located right across the street. It is perhaps the most secure building in the US, at least the gold in it is better secured that anyone in the white house. It contains a vault that lies 86 feet under sea level which contains 5000 tons of gold, which is the largest gold repository in the world. Every morning when I walk by the building I think to myself, all this gold is so close, yet so far.

10 diana { 04.05.09 at 9:14 pm }

Welcome to Gravesend! A neighborhood that provides both a commercial and suburban atmosphere. The main street, Ave U, is the large contributor to the commercialization of the area. The numbered streets are dominated by houses, some that are just jaw- dropping beautiful. I love walking up and down these streets to admire the architectural beauty of some of these houses. The neighborhood is also home to Joe’s of Ave. U! This famous small family owned Italian restaurant is one of those restaurants where you see everyone from the neighborhood stop by at least once a week. One of my favorite places is a small cozy café called Living Room that provides the perfect atmosphere to meet others from your neighborhood. If you’re a runner or a biker then you’re in luck! Ocean Parkway is the perfect street; in fact I religiously jog on this street every night. Along with restaurants, cafes, and jogging pathways, there is much much more. So stop by and see for yourself!

11 Veronica Karpoich { 04.05.09 at 9:19 pm }

Podcast script:
Welcome to the heart of Flushing: home to the NY Mets at Citifield, last stop on the number 7 line, and shoppers paradise, featuring American chains as well as countless Asian specialty stores and markets. Despite the hustle and bustle of downtown Main Street, the area has a few historic buildings nestled away in unexpected spots. This is in stark contrast to the countless new construction projects popping up daily, which include bright new mini malls with tons of lights and screens to luxury housing, oddly enough shoved in between housing projects and a major public road. The neighborhood is a bit dingy and dirty, full of congestion and honking horns, but it has a lot to offer. Come take a look for yourself…

12 Julian Berman { 04.05.09 at 9:44 pm }

Gravesend.
A quiet, tight-knit community of “extended friends and family” lines the sides of the street. Take a moment to stand under the trees on Ocean Parkway and stare straight ahead at the trees getting closer and closer together. Color is everywhere.

13 alex { 04.05.09 at 9:59 pm }

Podcast script

Welcome to Bensonhurst. Located in southern Brooklyn, this neighborhood has a good mix of the busy city life and the quiet private family life rolled into one. While the main avenues mostly have apartment buildings and shops the side street are full of single-family houses. The D and M train run on 86th street, which also doubles as the shopping center of the neighborhood. However we aren’t all cars and loud noise. My neighborhood also features several parks that attract large crowds, especially children. Finally Caesars Bay is a great place to go in order to wind down after a hectic day. This path by the oceans edge is lets you breath in the ocean air while admiring all the views. Hope you enjoy.

14 Cathy Huang { 04.05.09 at 10:01 pm }

Sunset Park, but closer to Boro Park.
In this predominantly Asian neighborhood, it is always a surprise to see tourists on the streets. With the new karokee place and pool halls that opened up recently, more non-Asian teenagers can be found in the neighborhood. A highly-commercial area, one can always food good food to eat in the neighborhood. Whether it is Chinese food, Vietnamese food, or Malysian food, you are bound to find something to eat. The street vendors have also been very popular lately, especially the one by the train station, open even at midnight. Besides restaurants, there are also some small clothing stores and saloons.
Stop by to visit and see what Sunset Park has to offer!

15 Wendy's Script (posted by Nara) { 04.05.09 at 10:04 pm }

It’s Sunday today. It’s a really nice day. So I decided to go to the park. There are two parks within six blocks of each other in my part of the neighborhood of Bay Ridge in Brooklyn: Leif Erickson Park and McKinley Park. Both are next to tennis courts and food places. People probably go to McKinley more because it’s right across from McKinley Junior High and a church. The park has a big basketball court that is really popular with the boys. The other section of it is all the other normal park structures – swings, monkey bars, slides, etc. It has a lot of grassy space to sit on. It’s no Central Park but it should still be nice to have a small picnic there. There are a lot of trees that provide for shady areas to just sit and relax. The ice cream truck just started coming around. There’s usually a hot dog cart on most days. There is also a bus stop in front of it so it makes for traveling home easier. Overall, it’s a good park and a good area for kids to go to after school and on weekends.

16 Jessica Chen { 04.05.09 at 10:05 pm }

Fresh Meadows, NY

Far enough from exhaustive fumes and jarring noises to be labeled urban, and yet, not stuffily annexed enough to be categorized as suburban, my neighborhood stands as a comfortable compromise between the two extremes. It’s leafy streets and friendly lawns offer nice resting places for the eyes, while the expansive parks (Cunningham, Underhill,etc.) provide for exciting games of catch and refreshing places to spend a sunny afternoon. It is a place where one can feel safe, but not too sheltered and content, but not bored. It is my favorite midpoint between a city and a suburb, Fresh Meadows.

17 ernestwong { 04.05.09 at 10:19 pm }

Douglaston,
The last glimpse of Queens before Long Island. The parks are teeming with young children, and even older folk that are going about their daily exercises. The handball courts are never empty, always saturated by eager middle schoolers and high school students. This area used to be populated mostly by Caucasians, but over the past few years has shown a shift towards the Asian population. This shift has brought many changes, both good and bad. There are few ways to get out here, there are no subways, only buses, and the LIRR. Maybe that’s why few know about this place. Or maybe it’s just because there’s little to be seen, or done. That is, until you get acquainted with the neighborhood…. So come and stay awhile, the air is fresh and there’s lots to explore!

18 rmassachi { 04.07.09 at 2:09 pm }

Neighborhood Podcast Script – Murray Hill

I wake up every morning and look out my window, watching the sun shine on the East River as the cars pass on the FDR. It’s another beautiful day in Murray Hill! I have been lucky enough to call this neighborhood my home for the past 19 months of my life, and I couldn’t be happier. Murray Hill is an area filled with young and old, students and professionals, newlyweds and families. I find myself surrounded by the essence of New York City with every step I take. Restaurants, boutiques, apartment buildings, and offices line every block of this neighborhood. From its crowded bars to its discreet cafes, Murray Hill has a lot to offer. The movies, a great meal, a cup of coffee, a cold beer, are all just a step away! What could be better?! So come visit this great neighborhood of Murray Hill that I now proudly call my home, and see all its beauty for yourself!