CUNY Macaulay Honors College Seminar Four – Baruch Spring 2009

Instructions for Navigating Your Way Around Meaningful Parts of My Neighborhood

I wasn’t able to post this on the blog the other day but I see that its working for other people, so I’ll try again:

Me Through My Neighborhood

Join me as I walk you through the different parts of my neighborhood that have shaped me into
who I am today. I hope you have your comfortable shoes on because there will be quite a lot of
walking as we explore the two Brooklyn neighborhoods that hold a special significance for me.
Each place where we will stop today has in some way impacted me immensely and allowed me
to mature from an immigrant girl dependent on her parents and grandmother for care, to a young
Russian-American women making a difference on her own. I hope you take some time to enjoy
each stop we will make on the tour, and in turn learn a little bit about me, my family, and my
neighborhood while you’re at it!

1.) In Hopes of the American Dream- Our journey begins where my journey in America
literally began, Borough Park. Travel to the southwestern part of Brooklyn, to 13th Ave. between
51st and 52nd St., and you should arrive at our starting destination.

2.) The Apartment I Called Home- Who could ever think that a move just a few blocks away
can make such a big difference? See for yourself.
a. Travel from 13th Ave. to 14th Ave.
b. Make a right and travel until you reach the building located between 55th and 56th St.

3.) Grandma’s Mac & Cheese- Stop by my grandma’s old apartment to get a taste of her one-
of-a-kind homemade macaroni & cheese.
a. Start out going East on 14th Ave. towards 55th St.
b. Turn right onto 51st St.

4.) Bob’s 99 Cent Store- Oh, if only Bob’s 99 cent store still stood at its original location! The
store is no longer there, but why not stop by to see where this haven for immigrants once stood!
a. Go from 51st St. to 49th St.
b. Turn left onto 13th Ave.

5.) Synagogues of Borough Park- You must visit a local synagogue to get a taste of the area.
You can find ample synagogues located here, practically a five minute walking radius from each
other. However, if you want to specifically visit the Young Israel Beth-El-Borough synagogue in
Borough Park, then:
a. Start out walking down 49th St. toward 15th Ave.
b. Make a left and you should see the synagogue located between 50th and 51st St.

6.) Stitches- It was a painful memory, but let’s relive it:
a. Start out going West on 15th Ave. towards 49th St.
b. Turn right onto 56th St.

7.) Shostakovich School of Music, Art, & Dance- Put on your dancing shoes! By the way, I
would suggest a car or a metrocard for this trip. It is long, but certainly worth it!
a. Start out going West on 14th Ave. towards 57th St.
b. Turn left onto New Utrecht Ave.
c. Turn left onto 86th St.
d. Turn right onto Bay 22nd St.
e. Turn left onto Bath Ave.

8.) Bay Academy (I.S. 98)- Now we travel from my dancing school to my junior high school.
Ironically, I believe that one got me accepted into the other. It is interesting to think where I
would be had I not gone to Shostakovich Dancing School. Would I have gone to Bay Academy?
Would I be at Baruch now? Would I even be doing this assignment?
a. Start out going East on Bath Ave. towards Bay 23rd St.
b. Turn right onto Stillwell Ave.
c. Turn left onto Neptune Ave.
d. Keep moving ahead onto Emmons Ave.
*Unless you want to walk for over an hour, a car or metrocard is strongly recommended for this
trip.

9.) My House- Change is good, so let’s switch gears from Borough Park to Marine Park. The
name may sound similar, but the two neighborhoods are worlds apart.
a. Start out going East on Emmons Ave. towards E 15th St.
b. Turn left onto Ocean Ave.
c. Turn right onto Gravesend Neck Rd.
d. Turn right onto Avenue U
e. Turn left onto Haring St.
f. Turn right onto Avenue R

10.) Matryoshkas- No need to travel far this time. Just step inside my house and get a taste of
Russian culture.

11.) All Aboard the B2- You can’t get lost here! Just walk to the corner of E. 34th St. and Ave. R
and cross the street. You can take a ride on the B2 to explore the Midwood section of Brooklyn,
but make sure to come back to Ave. R and E. 34th St. because our next stop is just one block
away.

12.) Met Food to the Rescue- You must be hungry already! Let’s get something ingredients to
prepare a meal. We don’t have much options except for the local Met Food supermarket.
a.   Walk down E. 34th St. to Quentin Rd.

13.) Ginza Sushi- It’s never a bad time to try something new, especially when it comes to sushi!
a. Start out going West on Quentin Rd. towards E 34th St.
b. Turn left onto Nostrand Ave.
c. Turn right onto Gravesend Neck Rd.
d. Turn left onto Ocean Ave.

14.) First Full-Time Job- This was a bit of a turning point for me as I got my first real
paycheck!
a. Start out going North on Ocean Ave towards Avenue W
b. Turn right onto Gravesend Neck Rd.
c. Turn left onto E 24th St.
d. Turn right onto Kings Hwy.
e. Turn right onto Nostrand Ave.

15.) My Favorite Block- There’s just something about this block.
a. Start out going North on Nostrand Ave. towards Kings Hwy.
b. Turn right onto Kings Hwy.
c. Turn right onto E 34th St. (The block you are looking for is located between Ave. R and
Fillmore Ave.)

16.) Timothy Stackpole Corner- So much more than just a corner.
a. After you have observed my favorite block, walk back to the corner of E 34th St. and
Ave. R

17.) Compost Site- As can be seen by the example set by Timothy Stackpole, anyone can make a
difference, no matter how big or small.
a. Not too far from the Timothy Stackpole Corner, navigate your way to Ave. U & E. 33rd
St. Keep your eye on the nature ahead, and you won’t be able to miss it!

18.) Salt Marsh Nature Trail- The compost site is located on the land belonging to the Salt
Marsh Nature Center, so after having visited the compost site, you are practically already at your
next destination! Take your time as you walk around. There is a lot to see here!

19.) Not Your Typical Park- Just cross the street after you exit the Salt Marsh Nature Center,
and find yourself at Marine Park. Try walking around the whole park and see how long it takes
you.

20.) The Power of Neighborhood- Reflection is important. Let’s sit down on one of the nearby
park benches and reflect on our journey.

1 comment

1 John Maciuika { 05.27.09 at 11:22 am }

I loved your tour, Galina!