Response: Biodiversity Conservation and the Extinction of Experience

Speaking of nature, it is important not to overlook human’s natural tendency-to ask what is in it for them? Yes, people are self-centered and we must come to face with it and cater to it. However, as Miller mentions, informing people about the negative affects the collapse of the environment will have on them is not an efficient method to gain their support. Hawken even brings strong evidence that hysterics over future environmental issues do not bring people to take action. Love in this case is the answer; people must develop a positive relationship with nature, if they are ever going to defend it. In order to do so, people must be aware of the extensive benefits. Are you stressed out from school or work?… Well nature can actually help ease that anxiety. Miller shares other “quality-of-life enhancements” such as “high-order cognitive functioning, enhancing observational skills and the ability to reason…. children’s emotional and intellectual development etc.” By raising this awareness, people are more likely to act and eventually foster a connection with the environment.

If not, how can you expect people to mourn the loss of something they never had a relationship with? The schooling system does not help. This idea had me reflect on my own childhood experience with nature. At home, I did things such as spend a lot of time in my backyard, decorate plant pots at my five year old birthday party, hike with family, and attend summer camp in the woods. I was lucky enough to have access to these resources, but especially in age of heightened urbanization, I believe schools bear a burden of emphasizing this subject. So what role did my formal education play in this relationship? Close to nothing. I recall taking home a miniature plant in nursery school and going on a class trip to the Botanical Gardens in elementary school, however, these hands on programs stopped there. History, biology, and chemistry were retaught multiple times over to everyone throughout the years, but environmental studies was optional in high school. The environment is overshadowed by other subjects that schools prioritize and other causes like poverty, world peace etc. A park ranger at BioBlitz reaffirmed this reality when she told me that she runs programs for elementary school students. When I asked why such programs do not extend to older children, she asked herself the same question. Although attitudes towards nature may form during childhood, just like another relationship, this too requires consistent and conscious contact and without that it is no wonder many experience disconnect with nature.