Chapter 7 Response

This chapter was similar in structure to previous chapters we have read, starting off with the wonderful abundance of natural life, then immediately cutting to the quick decimation of said life. This chapter specifically had to do with water and marine life. Since all the chapters are structured the same, it’s getting hard to feel like I’m learning anything new. But the information the author offers as to how exactly the specific type of nature was destroyed differs, which keeps it interesting. For example, the part about oysters particularly interested me, because I never knew we had oysters in the New York City area before. It made me think of all the possibilities for fresh, cheaper oysters there could have been if they were not overharvested. I’m vegetarian now so I don’t ache for this as much, but the old pescetarian me would have been distraught at this information.

The passage that followed about the polluting of the waters was absolutely disgusting. Hearing in detail what pollutants were in the water really got to me. Moreover, hearing the scientific ways how the disgusting things in the water made it even more disgusting added onto that. It also made me feel bad for any kind of marine life that was in those waters. I wonder why the people continued to pollute the waters, especially the big companies and factories like petroleum refineries. It was frustrating reading about the ignored laws implemented to safeguard this. But eventually they were able to make progress, pursuing action against perpetrators and taking greater measures to deal with waste.

What was hard to imagine was that water in the area now is better than how it was back then. New York City waters already have a reputation of being disgusting and of terrible condition, so I can’t even fathom that it used to be even worse before. It’s pretty gross to think about. But I’m glad that conditions are slowly improving, and it makes me wonder what level of restoration the water will reach as a result of these efforts.