Chapter 10 Response- Weathering

I actually thought this was one of the most interesting readings we’ve done so far, especially since storms and other weather problems have been so relevant and destructive in recent years. When we talk about the different aspects of an ecosystem, such as plants and animals, it is clear that humans are on top of all other organisms. However, weather, on the other hand is always present and more powerful than humans. Our actions have extremely altered weather causing global warming, which leads to other disasters. When humans ignore the importance of weather, it only comes back to hurt us.

Most people are aware that there is global warming but are ignorant about what it is and its magnitude. The world is getting warmer and humans are causing this warming to happen at an unnaturally rapid pace. Temperatures and water levels are increasing at much higher rates than before than they were before human life. Changes in temperature used to be measured over millennia, now they are measured over centuries. McCully says, “We have speeded up nature’s clock” (149). The temperature in New York rose one degree over the last century. Many people may not notice this change or find it significant, but this causes higher water levels and rainfall which leads to major problems during big storms. A big reason for this global warming is because of the burning of fossil fuels since the industrial revolution, which release gasses that cause the greenhouse effect. Carbon dioxide levels have increased because of this, and at the same time, there are less plants to absorb the carbon dioxide. See levels rise when ice caps melt as a result.

Problems occur when we try to go against nature in attempts to protect ourselves. Cities have been built on wetlands or by the coasts. Wetlands were never meant to be cities, and therefore all the homes there are in danger. For example, New Orleans is was built on very low land, and that’s why Hurricane Katrina was so destructive, yet people continue to live there. When dams and groins are built to block the water it goes against nature and causes more problems. Studies show that adding sands to beaches and building groins only cause more erosion in the future.

I have a personal example of the destructiveness of weather. I live on the South Shore of Long Island, which McCully talks about. She mentions it is protected by dunes (159). My town is very low down and was built on wetland, so there was a lot of destruction from Hurricane Sandy. The dunes were obviously not the best solution, because when I looked out the window during the storm, my whole street was completely flooded. The water flooded my entire basement. Since then there has been a lot of talk about storm preparation, but maybe the only solution is to just stop building near the waters.