Response: Solar Thermal In New York City

When I read that solar thermal technology provides renewable, emissions-free, cost-efficient alternative, can create jobs, and have positive economic impacts, I was sold on the proposal. Of course, I later found out and honestly assumed that there was a financial factor holding people back from installing these systems. There is also lack of awareness and knowledge on them. While we students may be incapable of fixing the financial issue, if we educate ourselves on the topic, spreading the word can go a long way in the installation of more solar thermals.

This study provides building owners with valuable information on the subject. Some things to keep in mind are that it’s important to conduct a cost-benefit analysis and alter the plan depending on various factors if necessary. This is clear based on site #2 16 years payback period (comparing to others five or six years and even one month), which could have been easily shortened if only more research was done and thought through beforehand. Low buildings, roof space with unobstructed southern-facing exposure, and large consistent hot water loads have proven most effective.

After reading this article, I was curious to how exactly these solar thermals operate. So I decided to share what I found:

How a Solar Water-Heating System Works

• 1) Solar thermal collectors (panels) on a roof, shade structure or other location absorb solar energy.
  • 2) Solar fluid circulated through the collectors by a low-energy pump delivers heat to a water storage tank.
  • 3) When users need hot water, the solar-heated water in the storage tank pre-feeds the primary water-heating system.

4) When pre-fed with the solar hot water, the boiler or water heater is either not activated, or activated for less time than if there were no solar hot water system.(http://sunwatersolar.com/solar-thermal/what-is-solar-thermal)

The process seems natural and easy. This reminded me of McCully’s rant against technology. Sometimes we use technology to overcomplicate things and in fact destruct our environment, when a much more plausible solution, on many accounts, exists right before us. I say, simple should be the new new.