Response: The Influence of Urban Green Environments

Once again, the authors point to the fact that people constantly focus on ways to treat problems, often with costly methods, rather than preventing them altogether. This is the case particularly with stress related illnesses. Anxious people are quick to pop pills to relieve their tension, rather than taking the time to stop the anxiety from even coming into existence. While at this point in my life it is difficult for me to move to the suburbs, the article had me project myself into the future and really question where I would consider living hereon after. The thought that living in the suburbs could decrease stress is enticing. However, it is important to remember that it does not come automatically. While looking at greenery from your window can be helpful, the study showed that is necessary to stay outside for a minimum of 15 minutes in order to achieve vitality. I actually find that it is more effortless to spend time outside in Manhattan. Without a car, I am constantly walking everywhere, compared to the suburbs where the mentality is mainly to drive. Just like a dog needs to go for its daily walk, we do too. Yet for some reason, we are not as insistent on it. Perhaps owning a dog is a clever way to encourage oneself to spend time outdoors.

A major preventive factor in New York is the cold weather. During the summer and even spring, Central Park, Union Square, Washington Square Park etc. are overwhelmingly packed. It is often difficult to find a place to sit down. People clearly appreciate the outdoors, just in warm and pleasant weather. The need for indoor green spaces became obvious to me. After some research, I discovered the Ford Foundation Building, which is an office space built in 1968 located in Midtown Manhattan. It was the first large tree-filled atrium in New York City and set the precedent. From my limited knowledge, it does not seem the trend has picked up, although with the winter approaching, I plan on checking it out soon…