Response: Estimating Stormwater Runoff for Community Gardens in NYC

I was proud to learn that NYC is at the forefront of green infrastructure and climate change adaption. However, we are not all in yet. This article centers on the fact that New York has failed to implement community gardens in its plans. Without any prior knowledge, I would assume that gardens have aesthetic and lifestyle benefits and are a clever way to bring community members together. Also, based off of our class discussions, community gardens seem like an effective way to expose more people to nature on the daily. After learning  the sewage benefits in this article, I really wondered why NYC failed to implement them thus far. Although land is scarce, rooftop farms are viable options. My only initial concern is how these gardens survive during the winter, which in New York is a big portion of the year. Is the storm water management still as effective?

In reality, NYC does mention community farms, but in relation to food production, youth employment, and environmental education, not storm water managements. If the city opens its eyes to the benefits and categorizes community gardens as green infrastructures, it would merit as well as all those who look towards the city as a beacon. But first, NYC must take notes from other countries and even cities in the United States. In particular, I appreciated California’s hands on approach. The state passed a law that permits cities to provide tax breaks in exchange for urban agriculture, as an incentive to private property owners. After studying environmental issues in NYC, it has become clear that the general public and even the government are often unaware of all things related to the environment. And even after being told of benefits and hazards they still seem to ignore the matter altogether. Therefore, incentivizing is the best strategy until people come to realize and appreciate the benefits on their own.