Response to Light Pollution Article

I like that we had to read this article on light pollution, because it is a major for of pollution that we have not discussed much in class. Most people wouldn’t call light a form of pollution, because they would not expect there to be any serious health effects or environmental consequences to artificial light. This article very clearly describes how species, including humans, are negatively impacted by artificial light. It is clearly a very relevant issue since “99% of the population of the European Union and the United

States live in areas where the night sky is brighter than the threshold for light-polluted status set by the International Astronomical Union. (A 22)” The big picture on page A 23 also shows how inefficient and unnecessary most of the artificial light is. I was shocked to read that 50% of the light is wasted and 10% produces a glare, leaving just 40% to be productive light (A 23).

One part that really interested me was when it spoke about light pollution’s impact on various species, such as sea turtles and birds. The author mentions that sea turtles get disoriented by artificial light on the beach and females become discouraged from laying their eggs. They also get lost in finding their way to the sea. Artificial light at night also confuses birds as they fly past brightly lit buildings, which must especially be an issue in NYC. I found this interesting, because normally, we all think of light as a source that gives us clarity. It makes things easier to see and prevents us from getting lost. However, the opposite is true for other species, since the birds and sea turtles actually get lost and become disoriented from the light. I was also shocked by how many nocturnal animals there are, all of which must be in danger from light pollution.

The health effects of artificial electric light are also very serious. It makes sense that light can disrupt sleep patterns. I am a very light sleeper, so if there is any light in my room, I can’t sleep. It can also disrupt circadian rhythm, which can have effects on physiological processes and can cause mood disorders, such as depression. The most shocking and most serious health consequence is that it can cause different forms of cancer. There is an association between breast cancer and exposure to artificial light at night, which can be explained by decreased melatonin levels. The article has significant evidence of this when it says, “Nurses who worked night shifts at least 3 times a month for 15 years or more had a 35% increased risk of colorectal cancer. (A 26)” A study in Israel is also quoted saying, “Women living in neighborhoods where it was bright enough to read a book outside at midnight had a 73% higher risk of developing breast cancer than those residing in areas with the least outdoor artificial lighting. (A 27)”

Towards the end of the article, it talks about how light pollution is still on the bottom of the list of environmental priorities. I think that a big reason for this is the lack of awareness on the issue. Most people have no idea that electric light can be even a little bit dangerous. If people were educated on the consequences listed in this article, limiting light pollution would become more of a priority. People would be more willing to protect themselves from light in their own homes and the government would have motivation to regulate the light outside.