Masdar

Learning about the strategies used in making Masdar the most sustainable city in the world was very interesting. I also thought it was extremely ironic that one of largest oil providers in the world is building the most sustainable city. Furthermore, they are using the revenue from the oil and gas production to build city that doesn’t need either. Apart from the irony, I thought this was all a great step to a better future.

One of the most important aspects of this initiative was the expansion of knowledge on the project. in many of these sustainable rebuilding throughout the world, there is a lack of education on the topic. Their use of local creativity is a step that will drive the project forward for many years past the lives of the architects and engineers working on it now. We have brought up the important of education to our relationship with the environment in the past and this is one article that has addressed it effectively.

Another part of the article that caught my attention was the pedestrian-friendly environment. Master is a zero-car zone which at first struck me as odd. Nonetheless, I thought it was oddly brilliant. They set up quick and efficient means of public transportation while strongly encouraging biking and walking. This emphasizes the sense of community as well as exercise which is necessary world wide.

Using the 3 E’s is what put this project over the edge and is something worth celebrating. It makes everything inclusive both socially and environmentally; the richest man holds just as much importance as the poorest man in a better environment.