I know this might be a little late, but I will be reviewing the author reading by Edwidge Danticat. Every freshman entering Brooklyn College this semester was assigned to read the book, Brother, I am dying for their English class. After reading the book, I was blown away by Danticat’s writing style. I didn’t believe that such a story could be real with such a tragic ending. However, by attending the event and to see Danticat in person, I was able to connect the story to a face. The whole time I was there, I couldn’t believe that Edwidge actually went through all that. It was also shocking and heartbreaking to hear that Maxo died in the Haiti earthquake.  It was really sad to know that Edwidge’s uncle who was escaping from the gangs in his country couldn’t find refuge in a country that upholds the values of democracy.  Instead, he was held hostage because he was Haitian. Edwidge’s words, “Those who care, don’t rest” really touched me. Meaning that if you really want to make a difference and change society, you won’t stop because of small obstacles.

Edwidge’s determination and efforts really touched my heart. I wasn’t the only one as some people around me became teary after listening to her words. Danticat’s story and seeing her in person was a really good start to my college life. Her life and book are about rising above each other’s differences and doing something to make your society more aware so that something like racism doesn’t stop someone from helping fellow humans. To be honest Brother, I am dying made me teary twice. When Edwidge’s uncle died and after listening to Edwidge talk in person. I am grateful to Brooklyn College for picking such a nice book to help freshman transition into college life and to give us a chance to see her in person.

One Response to Danticat Book Reading

1. Geoffrey Mercene says:

I would also like to admit that I felt the same way towards Danticat when I attended the event, in which I had that “Oh wow, I can’t believe she really went through all that!” feeling. In other words, meeting the author of a touching memoir really makes you think that a character has popped out of the novel. Readers have questions, want to meet the characters in a novel, or just want to have a conversation with a character. With the memoir, it is possible. The character is a real person (not necessarily alive of course). And if that person is still alive, there is a chance you will be able to ask questions, meet him/her, or have a conversation with him/her (especially if you enjoyed the book and that memoir really related towards you).

It also goes with the saying, “you can’t judge a book by its cover.” Looking at Danticat, can you really tell she has went through so much without reading her memoir? It shows that every person has some sort of memoir within him/her, but how interesting or how compelling it is depends on how one writes it out. It’s difficult, I admit. As a person that has interest in writing as a hobby, it’s difficult to word out a story to make it sound compelling and interesting like the thoughts you have about in my mind.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.