…are all pathetic.  When I read through the libretto a few days ago before the opera, I did notice how inferior the women were in the opera (and that wasn’t surprising, because during that time period, women were subservient to men [side note: could also be seen in Shakespeare’s plays]). However, during the opera, the actors, the pace, and possibly the music emphasized those parts to the point that they become quite comical (ultimately showing how pathetic the women were). Actually, I noticed that some parts I didn’t recognize from the libretto…

Zerlina asks Masetto (as she treats his injuries) to forgive her by allowing Masetto to do anything to her body as he pleases (such as ripping her eyes out). Donna Anna wants to go to the convent after Don Ottavio achieves revenge on the murderer who killed Donna Anna’s father (Don Giovanni). Donna Elvira…oh, come on, really? She would really go back to Don Giovanni after all that has happened?

Aside from that, the place was elegant and so were most of the people. The opera exceeded my expectations, and I admit that it’s better to witness that actual play rather than simply reading the libretto. My favorite part had to be Don Giovanni entering into hell. As the opera approached that scene, I was wondering how the scene would be portrayed. Would they cover the structures in sheets with hell’s fires illustrated on them? Would they play around with the lighting? I didn’t expect they would use ACTUAL fire in that scene (I wonder how rehearsal is like?).

3 Responses to The Women of Don Giovanni

1. teressac says:

I completely agree with you! The women of Don Giovanni are most definitely pathetic, but I think it added to the humor of the opera. As I read the libretto, I actually felt kind of bad for Donna Elvira, thinking that she was in love with Don Giovanni and he just ignored her. But watching the opera made me realize how idiotic she was. Don Giovanni was obviously not into her and she just kept going after him like a lost puppy. I found it very amusing, especially when Leporello tells her all about Don Giovanni’s many affairs and she sulks as if they were married and he cheated on her. Like you said, it was also funny when Zerlina says that Massetto can do whatever he wants to her body to get back at her.
    When Don Giovanni was sent to hell was my favorite part too. It was such a surprise to me and as you said, it is much more of an experience seeing it rather than reading it in the libretto. I also wonder what it is like during rehearsal. I felt the heat all the way from our seats. Imagine being right in the middle of the flames!

2. yettinger says:

I agree with you most wholeheartedly about how pathetic and seducible the women of Don Giovanni are and would like to add on that every single female role was written for sopranos. The higher and more feminine voice of a soprano sounds weaker and more dependent on men than that of a deeper alto. However, besides for the obvious anti-feminine message that Mozart is giving, I would like to point out that although she would have been a disgrace to the feminist movement, Donna Anna is a master at getting her fiancé Don Ottavio to do whatever she wants, which is a different sort of feminine power, one that works not by standing up for ourselves, but by using our feminine wiles to turn men into fools.

3. Bibiana says:

I feel that the women of this opera cannot be analyzed in a modern context. And by the way, I actually saw this opera staged in modern dress,with Don Giovanni made to look like Clinton It was hysterically funny and totally ridiculous.And it was quite a spectacle to see ‘ Slick Willy ‘ dragged into Hell!

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.