Emergia Caracas by Miguel Rodriguez Sepulveda (2007) , Colombia- -DVD Video, El Museo del Barrio, NYC

In this small, approximately 15” X 15” video, we are given an 8:00 minute clip of what seems to be a tattoo starting to fade away through the sweat that perspires through the tattooed person’s body. By running in place in front of a white backdrop, this ink begins to fade away. What is inked into the Afro-Caribbean (You can tell from the color of the skin) displayer’s back is a picture of what seems to be the face of a white upper classmen, probably European, during the colonial era of his area. After almost 5:00 minutes of what seems to be a complete waste of time, the ink fades and smudges this face. Towards the end of the video, one can barely recognize the face of this unknown colonist. Finally, to end the video, photographers and audiences of the artwork take pictures and applaud the artist on his ideas and unique approach to the concept of slavery and colonialism.

As one may have guessed, the idea of an 8:00 minute video may seem very boring and tedious to watch, especially if nothing interesting is happening. I literally watched the video hoping that “interesting” something would occur. “Where was the art? I can’t see it!” However, what really caught my attention was the detail in which the colonist’s face was inked into the displayer’s back. I couldn’t help but notice the true details, such as bone structure and pompous features that this probable European had. In addition, my mind kept contemplating, trying to figure out what was on his back. Was it ink? Sweat? Marker? All of the above? Regardless, I respect this innovative idea that Sepulveda was aiming to portray. Through this sweat and hard work, the displayer can break free of their past, almost socially working hard to their status, while also sweating or “removing” the remnants of their colonized heritage of slavery. However, I must also note that the smudged face is still there towards the end of the video. This last note probably symbolizes the fact that this enslavement period of colonialism will always be with the people of, no matter what. I think this piece struck me as compelling just because of its idea and concept, which I believe is true. No matter what you do, there will always be some sort of history or past that comes with you to your present or future.

Here is the link to the video:

By Herve Bueve (2009), El Museo del Barrio

Martinique 2 by Herve Beuze (2009), Martinique – Metal & Synthetic Materials, El Museo del Barrio, NYC

No larger than a regular TV, this 3’ by 5’ structure shows the island of Martinique, made of some type of cork in an orange color, hanging on the wall by a black web like metal structure. The island of Martinique seems almost rugged and crooked with the topography of the island jaded, almost natural and similar to that found on champagne cork pieces. The black web behind the island stems asymmetrically and definitely sticks out, contrasting from the orange island.

In the midst of all these Caribbean inspired paintings was this large structure hanging on the wall. Sticking out like a sore thumb, it was only natural that I checked out Martinique 2. Behind the metal structure was this interesting idea of the country as a magnet, almost web like atmosphere. The concept of the spider web seems to symbolize the attraction of imperialistic countries to the region due to what the country offers, usually labor, pride, and a base, which increased European influences in the area. By portraying the island as a rough area through it’s topography and texture, I believe Bueve was also trying to note the difficulties of the country, including slavery, similar to all of the other countries in the Caribbean region. Again, I believe the artist’s concept was very compelling and thought provoking which led me to choose this piece. It’s always interesting to see how someone portrays an idea or theme in an artistic style. Although this imperialistic ideology is not present within today’s society, the idea of magnetic webs in the world is seen today in all places as countries have been assimilated or transformed into many diverse cultures, which was something we talked about English class the other day. (Probably another reason why it stuck to me)

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.