Even though I’m a native New Yorker, I haven’t even experienced half of what New York City has to offer. I’ve never been to the Statue of Liberty! It’s strange how people spend their whole lives in the same area and never visit their area’s most famous landmarks. My guess is that the hustle and bustle of New York City prevents many native New Yorkers from truly enjoying the city they reside in. Just walking along 5th Avenue during rush hour is enough “recreation” for one day. However, this past Sunday I managed to pause my busy college schedule and enjoy a pleasant walk in two New York City attractions—High Line Park and Central Park.

The first stop on my trip was High Line Park. One of my close friends accompanied me on my journey through both parks, which made the experience even better. We picked up some hot coffee from the Starbucks on 8th Avenue and 23rd Street and made our way to the elevated park.

There were a lot of people at the High Line, but it wasn’t too crowded. The narrow park was filled with benches, which offered a brief moment of rest and relaxation. Plants lined the edges of the High Line but they looked very dry and faded.

Prior to visiting the park, I glanced at it on Google Maps Street View and it looked nothing like what I saw in person. I think that the High Line is definitely more appealing in the springtime when all the plants in the park have flowered or gained color.  The park was supposed to be a magnificent Garden of Eden. Instead, I saw a dull patch of discolored grass. I regret that I didn’t get to experience the High Line in its best state, but I would love to visit the park next season.

Another thing that I couldn’t help but notice was the surrounding region and structures. Evidence of construction was all around. An idle crane was towering over the park. The park abruptly ended on one side at a caged gate, beyond which one could see unfinished industrial projects.  Certain areas of the park were under scaffolding. High Line Park seemed out of place with all the construction.

I thought that maybe the park had been severely affected by Hurricane Sandy, especially since it was operating on a limited schedule. On the other hand, I admire how New York City’s administration essentially recycled an old train line and turned it into a stunning greenway. In today’s fast-paced world, it’s nice to know that we still have the time and the will to create a recreational opportunity meant to entrain as well as distract the public from congested city life.

Thankfully, the unfavorable season and ongoing construction didn’t stop us from enjoying our walk. My friend and I walked the entire High Line from the entrance on 23rd Street to 30th Street, and then all the way back south until the park ended. It was a peaceful location—perfect for catching up with an old friend. The High Line was a wonderful place for a casual stroll, especially because I was able to view New York City from a different perspective. We spend most of our time either at the street level, turning up our heads in awe of the looming buildings above us, or inside buildings, marveling at the bird’s eye view of the city. But because the High Line was at an intermediate altitude, it offered an entirely new and distinctive view of the city by blending the best of the views offered from the street below and the buildings above.

The next stop on our adventure was Central Park. We took the C train to the 81st Station along Central Park West, also known as The Museum of Natural History stop.

As we made our way through Central Park, I noticed that it had also been affected by Hurricane Sandy, but significantly less than High Line Park. A few trees were overturned, but overall, Central Park seemed to be in good condition. However, even though the changing season negatively impacted the High Line, it made Central Park even more colorful and vibrant. One particular tree was a mesmerizing shade of red—I saw it from a distance and automatically thought to myself, “Definitely taking a picture of that.”

Central Park is sixty times as large as the High Line (Central Park has 843 acres while the High Line has 14), so it’s no question that Central Park had a more diverse variety of plants and even topography. In Delirious New York, Rem Koolhas describes Central Park as a synthetic Arcadian Carpet, stating “if Central Park can be read as an operation of preservation, it is, even more, a series of manipulations and transformations performed on nature “saved” by its designers. Its lakes are artificial, its trees (trans)planted, its accidents engineered, its incidents supported by an invisible infrastructure that controls their assembly” (23). It’s interesting that all of the topography in the park seems so natural, and yet, all of it was artificially created. My friend and I found ourselves struggling up steep slopes as well as carefully treading down hills in order to make sure that we didn’t slip on a leaf.

Personally, I think Central Park was much more fun than High Line Park. Though the High Line was peaceful and quiet, Central Park was full of life. Hundreds of people walked by me, entertainers blew huge bubbles, and musicians played a few Christmas jingles on their saxophones. Everything in the park was constantly changing and moving. Wollman Ice Skating Rink was packed, horse carriages lined up one by one, and athletes crowded Park Drive. Certain areas were peaceful, while others were full of commotion.

One of my favorite parts of the day was on a small bridge over The Lake (yes, I know, very original names). Several rowboats were floating peacefully in The Lake, while a man was playing soothing music on his guitar. It was identical to a perfect scene straight out of a romantic movie. Even the sun was beginning to set. My friend and I continued on through the Park, and eventually exited on Central Park South and 5th Ave.

What I thought would be a dull and prolonged day turned out to be interesting and fun. Getting out of the house and going out to the city was one of the best ways I spent my free time, especially as a native New Yorker. Both High Line Park and Central Park encompassed a variety of recreational and cultural activities, which all New Yorkers can experience.

Tagged with:

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.