The second piece of art that I selected is called Supervivencia (Survival), 1910.

This work by Juan Ramón Bonilla (Costa Rica), and featured at El Museo del Barrio, is a bronze sculpture, the only of which I recall encountering at the exhibit. It is approximately two-and-a-half feet in height and over a foot in greatest width. The sculpture itself is of several different people –quite possibly intended to comprise a family—huddled together around a central seemingly messianic figure. Of the eight characters represented in this work of art, there appears to be a significant diversity of age—spanning from young children to mature adults with a few adolescent stages in-between. While not explicitly stated, it seems as though these people cling to one another as well as this elevated central character for a sense of protection or at least comfort from an oppressing force. Moreover, this sculpture adds to that effect by not clearly delineating where one person ends and another begins; this artistic decision forces one to realize the unity of those in the sculpture.

While not enormous in size, this work is profound in meaning. Initially, I was struck by this work’s simplistic yet powerful design; as one who has little experience with assiduous analyzation of sculptures, I was amazed at how impactful such a simple design could be visually. Once my amazement with the medium itself was overcome, I noticed how nonspecific both the title and the work itself are as far as irrefutable meaning; with a title meaning simply survival, my imagination immediately sprang into action to try to figure out what exactly was intended by this model. Was it trying to show Darwinism in action and say that only the powerful have the means to overcome adversity while the poorly adapted for survival cling to their side? Or, alternatively, was it trying to say that by clinging to a higher power (represented by the Christ-like figure in the center who rises above everyone else) we all have the means for survival? Or, was it trying to say that we are all one entity (displayed by the numerous physical connections present in the work) that are interdependent on one another for survival, despite the fact that certain individuals may have advantages over others? Ultimately, I resolved to accept sort of a consolidation of these ideas into one significant idea. Certain individuals are certainly more suited for survival than others. However, there is little meaning in life if we purely attempt to survive on our own, isolated from the many necessary connections required of human society. This realization often comes about as a result of turning to a higher power, forcing us to realize that we are not the epitome of creation and must therefore help those around us if we wish to receive support from that (or whom) which has power over us.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.