Communing with Nature: My Bio Blitz Experience

A friend of mine recently vacationed in Costa Rica.  She came back extolling the beauty of Costa Rica, and then asked me an interesting question: “Think anyone who visits New York would describe it as pretty?”  I answered probably not.  I would characterize New York, or at least New York City, as urban and busy.   While there is certainly beauty in the intricate workings of the city, my friend was clearly referring to the aesthetic pleasures of the natural environment of Costa Rica.  However, I might have been mistaken in my answer to that question.  One often loses the beauty of the natural environment of New York City amidst the skyscrapers, but it does exist if one takes the time to notice it. This past Monday, during my Bio Blitz session, I felt connected to nature while being in New York City, something I never thought possible.

When I first arrived at Central Park I was hesitant about the objectives for the day.  I live in Westchester; I can enjoy nature in my backyard.  Then, I was placed in the insect group. I was not excited. Not only have I always been squeamish around bugs, I was hoping I would be involved with something more unique like birds or mammals.  Nonetheless, my group headed out with a golf car full of devices used to collect insects including aspirators, aerial nets, and sifters.  Before we even arrived at our specific location, the day started looking up. We walked on a beautiful, green path and ended up by a stream with a water fall. A water fall in Central Park in New York City?! No way. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised, and of course took a lot of pictures.

Suddenly I was handed an aspirator or a device used to suck bugs, and it was time to begin the collecting process.  It took me a few minutes to get over the disgusting idea of gathering bugs with a tube I was putting in my mouth even though there was no way I could swallow anything.  With a bit of encouragement from the other two girls I was working with, I did use the aspirator.  In that second while using the device and successfully capturing my first bug, I experienced an interaction with nature  as a result of my  close contact with the natural environment and organisms other than human beings.  Yet, I was not scared.  I was calm and collected and focused on what I was doing.   I was even a little bit sad as I watched the insects die in the vials of alcohol. The experience of using an aspirator was completely new for me.  I was in sync with the natural environment not only because I was near my subject, but because I was an active participant within the environment and not just an observer like I am in my backyard.

In addition, the staff with our group from the Central Park Conservancy and our park ranger helped foster our connection with nature.  They were very knowledgeable and passionate about insects and nature.  Who knew there were so many kinds of ants, and that they are attracted to tuna fish and cookies?   I appreciated the staff’s expertise and learned much more at Bio Blitz than I would have sitting in my backyard watching insects from afar.  In Central Park I really got my hands dirty. Due to the excitement of the guides with our group and our proximity to and participation in the natural environment, it was easy and enjoyable to be swept away in the moment.  Even though I was in New York City, I felt connected to natural environment.

One thought on “Communing with Nature: My Bio Blitz Experience