Thoughts on BioBlitz

Growing up on the water, I have always had a different idea of what “nature” is. If we were boating on the South Shore, looking at fish and seagulls, I definitely would’ve been in my element. Nature, however, in the case of BioBlitz, meant Central Park, a different kind of nature to me. So naturally (no pun intended), I had some reservations. Despite constantly joking that my favorite outdoor activity is going back indoors, I found the BioBlitz to be rather informative at best, a pleasant day in the park at worst.

I’ve always found the contrast between the park and the adjacent streets striking; pedestrians yelling at taxis, hot dog carts, and 20-30 story condos don’t exactly mesh with the scenic flora and fauna of Central Park. Despite this paradox, I’ve always found it interesting how the plant and animal species managed to adapt and even flourish in the so-called concrete jungle. Much to my chagrin, our guide informed us that this wasn’t actually the case. Several species that have called the park home have been dwindling in numbers, if not completely approaching extinction. It is a bit disheartening that the typical urban factors that are part of the New York experience, such as noise and pollution, can have such detrimental effects on the wildlife. It’s also an easy fact to forget, especially because when you enter the park, it’s so easy to see and feel the complete shift in scenery (albeit manmade), despite the  lingering city sounds in the background.

Our guide also informed us that many of the species in Central Park were not native to the park, but rather brought over from different countries and environments. I found the Shakespeare Garden particularly interesting, as an English major. This extended on the day’s theme of adaptation: much like New Yorkers, plants and animals from everywhere could settle in and call the city home. It was a new experience for me to learn about the subtle differences from species to species, and I was impressed by my guide’s ability to distinguish such imperceptible details. Using the iPhone app was new to me as well. It was pretty interesting to be using my phone for a seemingly productive reason, as opposed to #LiveTweeting my #DayInThePark.

Above all, it was sort of fascinating to see how everything in the park had its role to play. contributing something to this greater ecosystem; again, it’s an easy fact to overlook. It makes you feel small, but simultaneously part of something so much bigger than yourself. Although I definitely wouldn’t classify (again, no pun intended) myself as a huge nature-lover, I definitely found BioBlitz to be a very rewarding and informative experience.

One thought on “Thoughts on BioBlitz

1. Nicely written – good comparisons drawn between the street scene and the park! I appreciate your honest approach to the experience, which you relate thoughtfully.